How To Make A Diy Co2 Kit

Wow, it's so easy. I didn't get round to setting up my first one until Monday, and I was getting 1-2 bubbles a second.

I didn't have any difuser, so I've connected mine to my powerhead with the valve turned to almost off. It gives me a burst of tiny bubbles every second. The currents in the tank prevent the bubbles getting to the surface for a while.

Using the small pop bottle to catch any overflow of the scum (there wasn't any), I part filled it with water and use it as a bubble counter too.

I was still getting a bubble every two seconds on day 6. I have a couple of questions. Please be gentle, I'm new to CO2.

After 6 days, the fermentation smell has gone. The gas now just smells of alcohol. Is that still okay for the plants and fish?

My chemistry never was that good, but doesn't using a bubble counter remove some of the CO2 from the gas, and doesn't it turn the water in the bottle to carbonic acid?

What are my options for monitoring CO2 levels? Cheap or free would be good, but I would rather spend £20 or so on a digital monitor if it saves time long-term. Are there any digital water testers that will do CO2, pH, nitrates, etc (even if they cost more)?

Thanks again.

If the bubble rate has slowed down from 1-2 bubbles per sec to 1 bubble every 2 secs then it means that the mix needs replacing.

You are probably using too much yeast and therefore the mix runs its course quicker.

Try using 2 kits linked together with less yeast and change them alternatively like 1 wednesday and 1 sunday so that one is always at peak and therefore covers the inconsistency of the kit that is or is about to slow down.

If you are worried obout overdosing use 1 Ltr bottles instead.

The overflow as used in this thread is supposed to be used as a bubble counter anyway so you are doing right. It also doubles as an overflow if needed but if the mix is right you shouldn't get anything other than a few drops in it.

The option most of us use for monitoring the CO2 is a drop checker where you put some 4dKH reference solution into the drop checker and add some bromo blue or some of the Ph test kits work and it will turn the solution blue. It will turn green when the CO2 is at the desired level and yellow if you are too high

It can only be used as a guide as it will not tell you the exact ppm you are getting but does give a clear indication of wether you are in the ball park or wether you need to do something about your levels. Also it can be up to 2 hours behind the tanks CO2 level due to the exchange of CO2 into the air within the drop checker.

This said it is an invaluable piece of equipment as you can just look when you walk past the tank and instantly know: good bad or HELP. Much better than having to keep testing to find out levels.

Andy

I do intend to use two bottles, Wed and Sat/Sun changed as suggested, but the wife had an un-planned stay in hospital so I didn't have time to set up the second bottle on Wednesday. She's fine now, BTW.

I'm not getting any overflow, but the scum on the top was getting close to the tubing, so I've reduced all the ingredients a little (including the water) just to be safe.

I saw reference to a drop checker, but haven't a clue what they are or how to chose them. I'll search the forum and find out. Not being able to check it as I walk past is not a problem, as I could use a manual tester several times daily while waiting for my latte milk to heat :). That said, if you experts use a home-made tester, that's good enough for me.

Finally, I detach the CO2 hose at night and add air instead. Is that right?

Thanks.

PS, thanks for the reply.

I'm not getting any overflow, but the scum on the top was getting close to the tubing, so I've reduced all the ingredients a little (including the water) just to be safe.

Mines gets into the first inch or so of the tubing but then drops back in as bubbles go through

That said, if you experts use a home-made tester, that's good enough for me.

I wouldn't say we use home made testers and I am by no means an expert. Just helping from the few experiences and troubles I have had. We buy glass ones and it just means if I'm passing, a quick glance tells me that I can continue walking. lol
drop-1.jpg

Finally, I detach the CO2 hose at night and add air instead. Is that right?
There should be no need. With a yeast setup you often struggle to get enough CO2 and using the night time to let it build up is normally of use. Also you lose the pressure you have built up and have to let it build again. Saying that if your fish are gasping at the top then obviously would be a good idea. A case of try it and see I'm afraid, but the majority of people do leave them continually connected.

andy

Thanks Andy.

I'll follow your suggestions.

On the home page, there is already a link to a guide that was already produced but one pinned up in the planted section would be good incase you miss the one on the home page.

Most reactions

Back