How To Lessen Filter Current?

lycaena

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
so with the tanks my friend gave me, also came their filters,
i would like to use them so i dont have to buy new ones hehe.
the current from the filters are wayyy too strong and the fish seem to be pushed around when they go near it
and so they are hanging around on the opposite ends of the tanks.
so my question is, is there a ghetto fix- way to make the current less powerful?
i was thinking somehow to redirect the flow to the wall or something, but what would i do that with? and how?
any ideas?

also! new fishy :)
one of his fins are totally bent and doesnt flare, but i love him anyhow :)

Attachments

• ngiri.jpg
    ngiri.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 22
Well you could stick something in the bit where the current comes out, like a peice of small plastic or something, I've done this before and its made it less powerful. What filters are they?
Gorgeous fish btw, the bent fins doesnt matter hes still lovely and im sure you love him! :)

Depends what kind of filter you have. I had a few little ones where I was able to put some filter sponge over the outlet which worked a charm.

Other filters you cant really do that so you can use plastic from a bottle to dilute the flow or a piece of nylon works as well.

It would help if you could post a pic of your filters. Then people could explain exactly what to do :)

Do you have a picture of these filters? What type are they? Many do come with an adjustable flow, though if not here's an idea or two :

If the filter has a sort of nozzel where the water flows out ( like with a Fluval 1 2 3 or 4 , that type of cannister ) then you could make a spray bar.

You'd need some flexible plastic tubing that fits tightly over the end of the outflow nozzel ( measure it )and a length of rigid/stiff/hard plastic tubing for the spray bar itself. The flexible tubing must also fit tightly over the end of the rigid tubing to stop leaks.

The easiest soloution is to get rigid tubing that is the same diameter as the end of your filter's outflow nozzel. That way the flexible tubing will fit both ends.

You will also need some suction cups to hold it to the aquarium walls. Fish stores do sell these.

Measure the rigid tubing so it starts and ends about 3 inches short of either end of the tank, drill small holes in a line along the length.

Then get some aquarium sealant and seal up one end of the rigid tubing .

Fit one end of the flexible tubing over the fliter outflow so it's pushed right on and secure, fit the other end to the open end of the rigid tubing and attach it to your suction cups. Stick this to the tank near the top/waterline

Face the rigid tubing so the holes you drilled face the back wall of the aquarium.

Plug in the filter, and hopefully the water should flow through the tubing , out through the holes in the spray bar and hit the back wall of the tank which will deflect the flow.

Alternatively you could just buy a spray bar if you are not DIY savvy.

heres a picture

Attachments

• filter.jpeg
    filter.jpeg
    32.5 KB · Views: 21
i had a filter like that . I cut and tied a piece of pantyhose around the plastic where the water falls out of.

it worked really well- my betta could finally swim in peace all over his 10 gallon.

i stick my filter to the side of the tank so its blowing along the back of the tank then directly infront of the outlet i stick the heater on the back of the tank to lessen the flow, this works well for me!!

i tried the water bottle thing,
so far so good. the girls seem happy
they were both checkin it out hehe
ill have to make one for the two boys in the divided tank now

They are good arent they?! Much better for the bettas with a bottle in place lol. My kind of thing simple DIY

yeah i was worried i was gonna have to go spend more money to get a different filter :wub:
glad that ghetto methods prevail!

Most reactions

Back