how to keep wood aquarium lid from going moldy

Cichlid Marco 101

Reaction score
I built a custom wood lid for my aquarium it was on on for 3 day when i noticed the lid was starting to grow mold even though the lid has been staind.I am wondering if i was use a piece of rigid foam on the underside and put 2 small fans in the lid if this would help keep air circulation and humidity away from the wood lid on my aquarium.

Please if anyone has any suggestions that would help me solve this problem

Thanks

I would be cautious. Wooden canopies are going to be exposed to 100% relative humidity and keeping the wood from becoming moldy is next to impossible without some sort of water proof clear coat treatment. Exposed stains and other wood treatments also have the possibility of leaching into the tank water where the results could be very bad to any living organisms.

If you are going to use wooden canopy you need to ensure that the wood is totally sealed preferable with something that is very water proof, marine varnish? Which will have to be applied then let fully dry with no discernable odors before using. Something that dries as into an inert finish, epoxy might also work.

I have done a couple of wooden canopies, last one I did was with polyester resin and glass. It was months before I used it on the tank. Had to wait for all the mkep to degas, wouldn't do that again.

Full disclosure, I can do wood work but I am not a wood worker. So take what I say with a grain of salt.

I would line the inside with formica or acrylic/plexi sheets As in glued on the dried surface

I would not use a wooden lid on any of my tanks, nor a "canopy"...too many issues with condensate, primarily

Glass lids are the only ones I'll ever use

I have a wooden hood sealed with waterproof outdoor paint, but have a glass fitted lid underneath for condensation. The hood is just to hide the lighting hardware
BF4BAC26-EA0B-4BB8-8F3C-4A44C1EEC519.jpeg

Most reactions

Back