How To Get Rid Of Nitrites

Fishman0203

Reaction score
Hey i just got a 125 gallon fish tank and it has been running for about 4-5 weeks now. But, all the sudden the nitrites spiked and killed my two favorite 12 inch Silver tip sharks. I know you have to wait to get rid of the nitrites and now have realized that putting the fish in there at this point was stupid but do any of you know any easy way of getting rid of nitrites?

Water changes. That's it.

When you say it's been running for 4-5 weeks, were you cycled?

A LOT of plants and liquid carbon ;P

keeps your readings at 0 for Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate's.

research silent cycle to get a better understanding on this...

Its not for everyone but its more friendly on the fish and more natural... but you will have look after your plants as well as your fish.

Its not for everyone but its more friendly on the fish and more natural... but you will have look after your plants as well as your fish.

you don't want 0 nitrates.

i think dosing with aquarium salt reduces nitrites aswell as water changes

you don't want 0 nitrates.

i think dosing with aquarium salt reduces nitrites aswell as water changes

I wouldn't recommending adding aquarium salt unless needed,depends on stocking of fish species has some dont tolerate salt...
Waterchanges are the best way to go :good:

Just so you know 0 Nitrates is always better...

(it is poison to fish still)

Just so you know 0 Nitrates is always better...

(it is poison to fish still)

i was under the impression that it was a sign of good bacterial growth in your filter and was ok under 40ppm. 0 is a sign of no growth at all isnt it ?

just to add
i tested my water today

0 ammonia
0 nitrites

my nitrates were less than 5 and more 0 and i was thinking it was bad and i might have killed my bacteria. if its fine then

woo hoo

As long as you have no ammonia and no nitrites and this is constant, then nitrates at 0-250 don't matter(so much).

search silent cycle on here

Yes I've been cycling water in and out from both tap water and water from my old 46 gallon fish tank. I put in my filter from my 46 gallon just so it can also have good nutrients in it.

Yes I've been cycling water in and out from both tap water and water from my old 46 gallon fish tank. I put in my filter from my 46 gallon just so it can also have good nutrients in it.

That's not what "cycled" means. Cycling is the process of growing bacteria in the filter which will process the ammonia produced by fish, into nitrite, then into nitrate - ie the nitrogen cycle. Nitrate isn't poisonous to most fish at lower levels. What RZayneC refers to as silent cycling is whereby you have enough live plants in the aquarium that will absorb all the ammonia and nitrite and nitrate in the tank - IMHO this is not something that a beginner really wants to attempt (one day, I will). (Therefore both RZayneC and Balajake are right in their own ways).

What Cezza asked you was whether your filter had those bacteria in. You said above that you put the filter from your 46 gallon in - does this 46g tank have fish in it, or if not, when was the last time it did?

Links in my sig.

Ammonia can take a few days to reach detectable levels at first with a tank full of new water, so test every day.

That's not what "cycled" means. Cycling is the process of growing bacteria in the filter which will process the ammonia produced by fish, into nitrite, then into nitrate - ie the nitrogen cycle. Nitrate isn't poisonous to most fish at lower levels. What RZayneC refers to as silent cycling is whereby you have enough live plants in the aquarium that will absorb all the ammonia and nitrite and nitrate in the tank - IMHO this is not something that a beginner really wants to attempt (one day, I will). (Therefore both RZayneC and Balajake are right in their own ways).

What Cezza asked you was whether your filter had those bacteria in. You said above that you put the filter from your 46 gallon in - does this 46g tank have fish in it, or if not, when was the last time it did?
The last time it had fish in it was about 1 week ago but the filter and heater are still running

Most reactions

Back