How To Get More Male Fry?

saffholly

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, i have had severl batches of fry and so far they all seem to be female (gupies and mollys), my temp is quite high in my tanks (as i thought this was ment to produce more male fry?) are there any other ways of producing more males or is it just luck?

All live bearer fry are born with fan shaped fins and all appear to be female for the first six weeks or so (depending on what the tank temperature is an dhow well they are fed)
There isn't any sure fire way to get a certain gender, just like with human babies. People may say there's a way, but it's still basically a 50/50 chance.

the chances are if their all female you males sperms isnt dominant in real life male sperms is usually slower but lives longer... you have a strong female producer male these are very much appreciated in fish breeding :) you should be happy but if you want males i suggest getting another male that you like from a breeder so it will be 50:50 chance :) good luck :p

Thank you, most of the fry born so far have been conceved at the pet shop (not from my males) so hopfully when they breed with my males i will start getting more male fry (and the colours i want), i have several males and 6 females so at some point i should get some males.

There is also some research you can do about temperature and what effect it has in sperm and eggs im pretty sure the higher the temp the lower the male sperm count...

the chances are if their all female you males sperms isnt dominant in real life male sperms is usually slower but lives longer... you have a strong female producer male these are very much appreciated in fish breeding :) you should be happy but if you want males i suggest getting another male that you like from a breeder so it will be 50:50 chance :) good luck :p

My wife is quite sure it's the other way around male sperm sws faster but dies within 3 days and female 5days but swim slower

SHe's a bit of a geek when it comes to baby making ect as she's fascinated on start to finish of pregnancys.

Me on the other hand I don't really care as its not interesting for me lol all that matters to me the baby's growing healthy and there's nothing wrong lol

I have the same problem! So many young female platies, not enough boys to go round! :sad: I did have a young male but he just vanished into thin air... no trace of him... :-( He was gorgeous aswell.

i stand corrected basboi5, indeed it is the other way around sorry for my mistake.. It is the female which last longer in the uterus than the male sperm.

Most reactions

Back