How To De-Chlorinate Water

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

alien-planet

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
hi there i have tablets i use to de - Chlorinate my water for my fish tanks but i was wondering how do you do it with no chemical treatment i heard you can place i. A large jug or bucket and wait 48-72hrs for it to viperous the Chlorine but does the jug /bucket /can have to be open or can i place a LID or cover on it and leave it to sit? Or would this not work ?

Chlorine is a gas which with a little time will outgas from water. This process can be accelerated by agitating the surface with an air stone or filter. However, chloramines cannot be handled this way. Unless you know for certain that you have chlorine and not chlormine, it is risky to try the out gassing.

The interesting thing about the chlormine that its will harm or kill out fish but all it does to the bacteria in its biofilm is to put it to sleep. As soon as the chloramine breaks down into its component parts, the chlorine out gasses and the ammonia wakes up the bacteria and gets it cranking again. On the other hand, chloring penetrates the biofilm at about 1/39th the speed of chloramine. So small amounts of chlorine in a tank may dissipate before killing any bacteria but not before harming fish.

If you have chlorine and not chlormaine, you must leave the surface of the container uncovered so the gas can get out.

I'd stick to the tablets or try some Tapsafe from Interpet or Stress Coat from ATI..!

if you know its chlorine a very cheap and inexpensive way is to make your own solution using Sodium Thiosulphate

Chloramines are often found in the water supply when ammonia is added in conjunction to chlorine to disinfect the water. The combination of ammonia + chlorine = chloramine. It is very common in the U.S., and I know it is used in some places in the UK. You would have to look up your local water treatment plant to find out if they add ammonia or not.

Most reactions

Back