How To Clean Wood For Aquarium

swanseastilo

Fish Addict
Reaction score
So i picked up what seems to be a piece of good wood from pets at home. Im guessing i have to clean it first so how do i clean it. Heres alink to the type i got.
http://www.petsathome.com/shop/mopani-root-decor-wood-by-tropix-31891

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

You could rinse it with boiling water if you feel so inclined, but mopani wood can go straight in. It's normally heavy enough to sink and doesn't give off much tannin.

You could rinse it with boiling water if you feel so inclined, but mopani wood can go straight in. It's normally heavy enough to sink and doesn't give off much tannin.

Ah right perfect in it goes then cheers

I would soak it for a few days after an initial soak with boiling water. I put a small piece straight into one of my tanks and it took me weeks to get the water clear again!!!

Alan

I would soak it for a couple of days doing at least 3 water changes a day. This will help get rid of the tannins in it. When I bought mine I plonked it straight in and the water was cloudy for a fair few days.

Ah right perfect in it goes then cheers

I would soak it for a few days after an initial soak with boiling water. I put a small piece straight into one of my tanks and it took me weeks to get the water clear again!!!

Alan

Yeah i have just learnt the hard way.

Mopani can go straight into a tank and it will sink just fine. If you are worried about a bit of brownish tint, soaking it first will help. I do not worry much about the water color so I drop a fresh piece of mopani right into a tank.

Most reactions

Back