How Still Should The Water Be?

LaVidaBoring

Reaction score
So I have my first betta in a newly cycled 5.5 gallon tank with a Red Sea Art Deco Nano filter. I have the filter flow turned down to close to its lowest setting, such that the surface of the water barely moves, but it's not completely still. Even in the areas of the tank furthest away from the filter, there's still a teeny bit of movement at the surface from the filter current. There's no place in the tank where the water surface is completely still. Will this bother the betta over time?

He seems to be happy enough, swimming around and eating, but he's not blowing bubble nests like he used to. I was wondering if the filter current could be the culprit for that. Will he just get used to it over time, perhaps? This is his third full day of being in the tank with the filter.

There needs to be surface movement, to ensure that the water is oxygenated. Bubblenests proving a betta is happy is more of a myth, they make bubblenests when they are ready to spawn,meaning they are comfortable in their surroundings.

Aslong as he is not struggling against the current, he will be fine.

Just direct the filter output upwards against the closest side if you can.

Aslong as he is not struggling against the current, he will be fine.

True :).

When I first put my betta in the tank with the filter it came with it blew him away; I dont think even fast moving fish would have liked it; so I got him a gentle filter; it still blows him over when he flares to the wall in front of it and he flares at it to tell it off; otherwise he's fine with it.

My 5gal came with a power filter and it is set up not to be able to move but is closer to one side on the entire tank. I fill the tank up so the output moves the water ontop and under the surface very little. it took my female and male ( who both have this sort of tank to themselves ) a little while to get used to it but now they both make this sort of game out of it. They never swim around it (as this would be very easy) they both spend hours on end trying to beat it. and my male will sometimes just put his back fins in the little current near the outflow. it's very cute:)

Most reactions

Back