How Old Are Your Tanks?

wendywc

Rocking a crabshell for a hat.
Reaction score
I just realized that my 30 gallon is exactly 10 years old now. I bought it after I graduated college and found a job. My 6 gallon was bought in February earlier this year.

EDIT: because I'm picky; changed thread title

this could be an interesting thread. Happy birthday to your tank! lol, it would also be good to know how people have maintained their tanks, whether the sealing has gone on their old tanks etc. Personally my tanks arent very old, my 15g is only a couple of months old (lol) and my 10g was 2nd hand so has only been at my house for about a month but was at a different house for about a year before.

my 48" is 11 years old ish, was my first big tank i had at home in me room, drove me mum crazy lol
its had many things in there from tropicals to marine in its time and still going strong :)

my 60" is a wee baby only had it about 3 months bless it, it get alot of love at the moment lol

My 29" 15uk gallon tanks has been running in its current state with the same fish for *checks date and ponders* at least 11 months, maybe a year now. The tank itself is 5 years old.
My empty 3.5uk gallon that i'm going to be using again for an Australian species of triops is 3 years old, but has never been used for more than 4 months at a time(started out life as a hospital tank).
My 5uk gallon is 6 years old, and is in use by my brother as a regular triops tank at the moment, its only ever been used for a year at one time. Started out as my first aquarium ever, and was home to three fancy goldfish :crazy: . That's what happens when you dont use the internet and learn from books/people at garden centres :rolleyes: .

my tank has been running for like a little over 6 months or so. i jsut got into fishkeeping to the extent i am now :lol:.

My 28gal is 5 years old. My 75gal is around 6 months old, and my 2 10gal are less than a month old.

My 29 gallon has been running for 2 years now. There were a lot of bumps in the road, but things improved once I gained more knowledge thanks to this site.

My 10 gal is 2 years old. Smaller than some but still running strong. This is deffinetly a hobby I'm still learning at.

Got a case of dropsy I'm dealing with right now and the danio is quarentined in a hospital tank; one that I started with a 3 gal I've had for the past 3 years. Other than that this has been my major event in fish keeping so far. I had a bout with ick when I first started 3 years ago. I wonder if he'll make it :unsure:

Any advice would be great. I've got a thread in the tropical fish emergencies forum. I'm gonna post tonight after work and get some water stats along with the pics.

got the 8 gallon corner tank 7 weeks ago and the juwel vision 180 2 weeks ago , didnt take me long to upgrade lol

The oldest tank I have is an old metal frame Jewel tank, It's from the late '40's or early '50's. I didn't buy this one new, it needs a reseal. I have a metal frame 10 & 20, they are from the '60's, I haven't had a chance to give them a fill test yet.

Many of the tanks I'm running are used, I'm sure some are around 20 years old. I have an 8 year old 55 running, and a 10 that has been running in some form or another for 15 years.

My newest tank is a 29, 6 weeks old, and hasn't been filled yet. Couldn't pass it up at the Petco buck a gallon sale. :)

My acrylic 35 gallon is 15 years old and looks brand new. I'm still using the original AquaClear power filter and power head. :nod:

My glass 16 gallon is the new kid on the block: it's only 2 years old. :D

The oldest tank I have is an old metal frame Jewel tank, It's from the late '40's or early '50's. I didn't buy this one new, it needs a reseal. I have a metal frame 10 & 20, they are from the '60's, I haven't had a chance to give them a fill test yet.

Wow, Tolak, I've seen those old metal frame ones; they are awesome! I would definately like to see pictures of them when they are up and running. :nod:

Both my 37g and 15H are about 4 years old.

My 37 has seen a lot of changes... tetras... barbs... semi aggressive community with firemouth, and now all mbuna african cichlids. the 15H is my wife's tank. she's kept it real with neon tetras, zebra danios, and misc others.

Wow, Tolak, I've seen those old metal frame ones; they are awesome! I would definitely like to see pictures of them when they are up and running. :nod:
My parents dropped off an old 10G tank that we originally kept fair goldfish in until they were big enough to 'fend for themselves' in the pond (read *a couple of months until my mum got fed up of having them in the kitchen and said "ohh I think that one looks pregnant, we better put them in the pond!"*)

It has the old metal frame (re-hammerite-ed several times by my Dad :) ) and I think it will be our hospital/quarantine tank when I've checked it for leaks :) I'll put up photos when I remember.

Most reactions

Back