How Often Should I Change My Filter?

mbpted

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm using Aqueon Carbon Filters in a 10 gal tank.

Should I swap them out every time I do a water change?
Once a week? Every two weeks? Every month?

Want to keep the bio levels up, but the ammonia and nitrite down.

I'm planning on doing a 50% water change and vacuum of the bottom of the tank later today. (It's been a bit over a week since the last water change)
Wanted to know if I should change the filter while I'm at it, or if it's okay, or a good idea, to keep it in place longer.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

What other media is in the filter? What % (roughly) is the carbon bit?

What other media is in the filter? What % (roughly) is the carbon bit?

This is it: http://www.aqueonproducts.com/products/aqueon-power-filter74412.htm
http://reviews.petco.com/3554/102602/aqueon-aqueon-quietflow-replacement-filter-cartridges-reviews/reviews.htm

I'm not sure how useful the websites are. There's no specs on the box to tell me anything about the Carbon Bit %. It fits the Aqueon "QuietFlow" filtration system, which came with the tank. It tells me not to clean the "Bio-Holster" that this filter fits into because that contains "living beneficial bacteria" and the instructions on the box say I should change it every 4-6 weeks.

You typically need to think about adding carbon pads/sponges after medicating a tank and having done a big water change afterwards, the carbon will adsorb the last bit of meds from the water. This adsorbing property will typically last less than a week, after that it is just another surface for bacteria to cling to.

"Normal" media only needs replacing when it is falling to pieces, typically over the space of a number of years, companies often advise to replace media every month or so to take your money (and remove perfectly good bacterial colonies).

How often "normal" media needs a clean in removed tank water varies from filter to filter, externals can easily go 1-2 months without a clean (I clean my FX5; Eheim 2078; 2x APS 2000EF ~every 3 months), whereas small internals can very quickly get clogged up and need a rinse fortnightly (eg. my 2x Fluval U4s). An alternative approach is to only rinse a portion of the media in a filter but more often on rotation, rather than doing the whole lot in one batch, because it is possible to dislodge some bacteria with the "gunk", causing ammonia/nitrite spikes in the following days. For this reason, I try and monitor a tank at least every other day after a filter clean (especially on externals), plus I will make extra effort to ensure more water surface movement to try and prevent an oxygen crisis (if the bacteria colony needs to grow following a clean because of lost bacteria, it will use proportionally more oxygen at the exspense of the fish to try and rebuild the colony).

Yikes! Seems I've been doing a lot of things wrong.

I have not been medicating the tank, so I will leave that filter alone!

Thanks for the responses.

If the filter has a carbon stage you need to change this as per manufacturers recommendations. If you leave carbon too long it will start to leach out the nasties you wanted it to absorb.
As said the first stage will be a sponge filter that you should only change when it's falling apart, or is affecting flow of water through filter.

If the filter has a carbon stage you need to change this as per manufacturers recommendations. If you leave carbon too long it will start to leach out the nasties you wanted it to absorb.
This makes sense too. It is a carbon filter, and they are not terribly expensive. I can change them as per the manufacturers recommendations.

As said the first stage will be a sponge filter that you should only change when it's falling apart, or is affecting flow of water through filter.
I will look into getting a sponge filter that I will leave alone - until it starts to fall apart, as you say.

Thanks again for all the advice. It's been very helpful.

Most reactions

Back