How Often Do You Fear Your Tanks Breaking/leaking?

trout_pout

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
This is always on my mind, the thought of the cabinet falling over or the glass breaking on the tank. I would love to get a nice big tank but I'm constantly fearing that my current tank will end up leaking.

Do you guys ever stop and think about this? :/

Yea, tons of times. Ive had tanks that HAVE cracked before, thank god it was when i was int he room! So now whenever i first hear the trickling of the filter, i always think at first that its cracked 0_o

but you'll eventually get used to it, so long as u ensure urself that the laws of physics can't undo u

Do you worry about getting run over when you cross the road too??? Only kidding, but if you thought about all eventualities you would never get anything done.
Best way forward

1. Insure your house against flood from tanks ( Have done this with the AA insurance ) They wont cover livestock though
2. Ensure tanks are free from chips and sealant losses and place tanks in an area where they are less likely to be hit.

Enjoy your tank, you cannot stop the inevitable, but you can ensure the accident can be minimised if it does happen

I worry - even had a dream about it happening, woke up and rushed downstairs in a panic to make sure all was okay (don't need that at 3am in the morning) - more worried about the fish than the carpet, lol.

Only once- the filter on the 4ft had started making a lot of noise (like the noise it makes when above the surface) and I swear the water level dropped by a cm or so... Turns out the venturi had a dodgy seal and the hood was a bit open so more evaporated than usual.

I have only just had to replace my tank because the old one was leaking. It didn't lose much water but I think the most important thing is to act straight away before the small leak turns in to a crack.

It was really old and had been moved several times which I've been told weakens them.

A hell of a lot of hassle though!!

I always fear my tanks will end up leaking or something will happen like the stand fall over, tank will crack exc. heck I even fear that the cat will fall in the tank!

I worry loads.

It took me ages to get a big tank and a mate installed it, a guy I really trusted, infact he has done all my tank, except one which a stupid evaporating lid thin that looks like it is leaking, regularly terrifies me since its not on our house insurance.................................. :unsure:

Hello
I had a 35g tank break and lose all the water in the tank the overflow pipe wasnt sealed properley and let water through didnt do anything to floor cause there was a spare 35g tank (empty) below with no lid on (lucky i was going to put sliders on the night before but could not find one piece of glass). They are on a double aquarium metal stand. After that i got someone to come round and re-fit the tube and put new silicone every were cost me a pretty penny but was definetley worth it now i always think about if it broke again but thought about it and there is no way it can break. so if you bought the tank new and was not second-hand when brought and the tank isnt in sunlight and it hasnt be knocked or dropped and you made sure all things are sealed properley before put water in the tank and change the silicone after a few years then there is no way you tank could break or leak :D
Good Luck :good:

How Often Do You Fear Your Tanks Breaking/leaking?

The whole time my triplets are awake. :blink:

Triplets LOL... i bet the tank isn't the only think you worry about breaking ...

Squid

:lol: lol sounds a lot like my aunt's triplets. Today they kncoked down the x-mas tree (again) and colored on the new white curtains. Who knows what they'll get into 2morrow

I'm scared of every owning a large tank as knowing my luck it would break.
Largest tank is a 40gal and it does worry me at times.

We had a faulty 42g tank a few months ago and luckily we'd spotted it in time. The corner had started to come apart and you coul actually move the glass. Luckily we had another tank set up that was empty so were able to transfer the fish over to that one. The lfs replaced the tank for us and it has been fine. We do tend to check it all the time now and it has left us a little worried in case it happens again.

Most reactions

Back