How Much Noise Does Your Canister Filter Make?

Cheffi

Fish Herder
Reaction score
As I've never had a tank before I have no idea how much noise a canister filter should make. On the box it say's 'quiet' but how quiet is quiet.

Is there such a thing as a completely silent filter or are there any measures I can take to cut down the humming noise? Thanks in advance you wonderful experts :dunno:

Mine just makes a gentle hum, not sure if there is such a thing as a completely silent filter.

Mine tends to get more noisy when it needs cleaning.

Billy the Fish

Not even an audible hum from my Fluval 304. I only know it's working because I can see the ripples on the surface of the water.

As I've never had a tank before I have no idea how much noise a canister filter should make. On the box it say's 'quiet' but how quiet is quiet.

Is there such a thing as a completely silent filter or are there any measures I can take to cut down the humming noise? Thanks in advance you wonderful experts :dunno:

I've got the Aqua one 620T and the filter is quite noisy. The bar tends to vibrate on the peice of plastic it's resting in. I've wondered whether I could get something (peice of sponge or cotton?) to rest under the filter bar ontop of the plastic. It wouldn't be in any of the water being filter and would purely act as a cushion to stop the vibration. Be interested to know if others have done this?

As far as the trickling of water is concerned, I just fill my tank to maximum level and you can barely hear it.

The water trickling is a nice sound it's the humming from the actual canister that is quite noisy. Well not loud but kind of annoying. Maybe I'll change it for a fluval 304 on Teelie's recommendation.

ive had a tank in my room since september and eventually you do get used to the sound of the tank. as for the filter specificall y - mine hums , if yours is very loud make sure the lid is tightly fishing

Not even an audible hum from my Fluval 304. I only know it's working because I can see the ripples on the surface of the water.

Apparently the 304 has been superceded by the 305. If there are any more votes for the Fluval being silent with no audible hum I think I'll def change mine.

I would not go with a fluval purely because I did notice a small amount of noise on mine (more than on my eheims) and also because I find the fluvals an absolute ***** to maintain when comparred to eheims.

But then fluvals are cheaper (probably due to their ability to leak as more than one member of this board will tell you)...

My rena XP3 is almost silent. The bubbles from the bubble wand make more noise. It does make a little noise if it has air stuck inside it. Rena products tend to be a little expensive though, but they are good quatily.

I would not go with a fluval purely because I did notice a small amount of noise on mine (more than on my eheims) and also because I find the fluvals an absolute ***** to maintain when comparred to eheims.

But then fluvals are cheaper (probably due to their ability to leak as more than one member of this board will tell you)...

I haven't had any leaks yet and in fact, the seal is so air tight, I have trouble breaking the seal. Either I have an exception to the rule or those who had leaks didn't properly set theirs up.

I've got a Aqua One Windsor 66 tank with a CF1000 canister filter. It was noisyish once new - that gentle humming sound you mentioned and also the movement of the media tended to make a racket at times. However, after 3-4 weeks it settled down and there's no sound at all from it now (6 months on). I'm really impressed with it despite reports on the net that it is quite a noisy filter. Once the initial start was over it seemed to settle down quite quickly. It is also really easy to maintain. We still get the noise now and again of the media moving but it doesn't last long.

Most reactions

Back