How Much Longer To Wait?

SUBARU WRX

Reaction score
My wife and I both set up our new tanks last week. Both have plants, rocks, wood in for over a week now with the filters running. I got my set up for Christmas which is 68 litres. I added some Tetra Safe start and have got the following results with the API test kit we bought. Nitrite and Nitrate not tested on the 17th.

DATE TIME PH AMMONIA NITRITE NITRATE
17/01/2007 2100 7.6 0.00
18/01/2007 2045 0.00 0.00 40
20/01/2007 1400 7.6 0.25 0.25 0

My wifes tank is 35 litres and has plants etc in it and it came with some cycle stuff and gave the following results.

DATE TIME PH AMMONIA NITRITE NITRATE
17/01/2007 2100 7.6 0.00
18/01/2007 2045 0.00 0.25 40
20/01/2007 1430 7.6 0.25 0.25 0

When should we add a few fish and/or do a water change?

Thanks.

Your results are not very clear how you've laid them out.

As a general rule if you are cycling without fish you should wait till your ammonia and nitrite results are consistantly zero. Then you do a large, at least 50% water change before adding your fish.

If you are cycling with fish, you should do a 20% water change every time you get a reading of ammonia or nitrite in the water when you do your daily water test during the cycle. This is to protect the fish from their own waste until the biological filter has matured.

Either way once the cycle has completed you can then proceed to stock the tank how you want to. I know i have read that you can, and probably should fully stock the tank after doing a fishless cycle, I would still err on the side of caution though and only add a few fish every week, just incase the biological filter is not up to a full load of fish straight away.

Your filter uses a blue media or sponge (or something like it). When you cycle a tank the idea is that you build up a colony of nitrifying bacteria in these filters. Fish pee (through their gills); they pee ‘Ammonia’ and this is HIGHLY toxic and damaging to a fish’s health (short term and long term effects). The nitrifying bacterial colony munches this ‘Ammonia’ into the slightly less toxic Nitrite. Another (slower growing) bunch of bacteria then munch up the Nitrite into the far less toxic Nitrate. The levels of Nitrate (and of course ‘Ammonia’ and Nitrite) are kept low by regular weekly water changes.

These Nitrifying bacteria are sessile (i.e. they are permanently attached to something and are not free to move about); they don't ‘live in the water’ per se, but rather live stuck to things like your filter media (which for this reason has a large surface area in the form of a sponge), rocks, walls of the tank, plants and so forth.

Hence, what are LACKING from a new tank are good bacteria (that eat Ammonia & Nitrite), be it in the substrate, on the glass or in the filters. There are no issues with bad bacteria per se because a new tank will be more or less sterile.

Nitrosomonas marina are the main Ammonia oxidizing bacteria & Nitrospira species seem to be the main Nitrite oxidizers.

To get the good bacteria going, add Mulm to the substrate & filters (if you can - the best kick-start and will greatly reduce the cycle time) and then get them growing by adding pure ammonia on a daily basis.

Regular testing from then on will tell you if your tank has cycled and you can add fish, a process that will take probably 5 to 6 weeks (minimum).

There are 2 ways of cycling a tank. With fish or without; both provide a source of food for the bacteria in the form of Ammonia (so that the colony can start to grow), be it from fish pee or adding it by hand. The ‘with fish’ cycling technique (unless you are experienced at it and know what you’re doing) is considered cruel because during the cycling process (which WILL take weeks) you are poisoning those fish because there will not be a large enough bacterial colony to deal with ALL of the ammonia produced by the fish.

Cycling a tank without fish couldn’t be easier. You simply add PURE ammonia (an amount determined by the size of your tank) day by day. Then you monitor the levels of Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate. Once your Ammonia & then your nitrate levels have gone up and then back down again and then nitrate levels go up, your tank may be considered initially cycled and you can start adding fish.
Fishless cycling. Two methods in one thread:
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=113861

For cycling, use pure ammonia that does NOT foam when shaken i.e. produce soap suds as it will have detergents in it. Use household ammonia from boots or Ammoni sold by Kleen-Off. Also see here for sources of pure ammonia: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=38840

Once finished cycling - do a large 50% water change and stock to 75% maximum.

GL

Andy

The results table looks fine when I type in the info then goes as above when I post it up. Doing a fishless cycle on both tanks.

Early days yet my friend. Just follow the pinned guide(s) and your fish will love you for it!

Andy

Most reactions

Back