How Much Light

leenkim

Reaction score
Hi ive been thinking about replacing my fake plants with real ones but im not sure on how much light i need my tank measurements are 31inches by 15inches by 12inches and i currently have 2 x 18watt bulbs in and i also have a spare bulb that i was planning to fit.

So if my tank holds around 20gallon and it has 36 watt so far, what plants could i add now?

And if i add the extra bulb i have it will give me 54 watt, also what plants could i grow with this?

thanks.

I can't really comment on your requirements but I just want to say DO IT!!! I replaced my fake plants a few days back and what a difference!!! The tank looks much brighter and more like it should!

With thay much light i think you could grow anything you want, even the slowest growing plants.
But i'm guessing you're going to need CO2 and ferts to make the most of your plants.
I only have 15Ws and my plants grow well (but slow).

Just go find some plants your like the look of.
Good luck!

Do you know much about plants, leenkim? If not I suggest you read the pinned threads on lighting, Co2, and the estimative index. That should help quite a bit.

Also, are you looking to get totally immersed in planted tanks? If not then perhaps leave the lighting as you have it now, as you should still be able to grow a decent range of plants and that would give you an idea of how it all works before adding more light and everything else that high light tanks require.

Sam

I second Sam's suggestion on reading the pinned topics and I agree that you should be able to have a very lovely planted tank with the lighting you have. You would be more limited with your plant choices, but you wouldn't have to deal with the more complicated aspects of the hobby (CO2, ferts, rampant algae growth). A low-light tank is an excellent way to wet your feet and try out your green thumb. I'll stop with the figures of speech now. Not saying high-tech tanks aren't great, they are extremely beautiful, but can be problematic if you're not up to the maintenance. I had one and loved it, but going on Holiday was a nightmare. Low-tech setups are more forgiving for busy schedules. It's up to you, however, and there are successful examples of both types in the many journals here.

llj :)

Most reactions

Back