how much better is a cannister than a power filter

ryansfish5g

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
how much better is a cannister than a power filter?

I am getting a 29 gallon tank pretty soon and trying to decide between:
the eheim 2213 Cannister Filter $70
the pengiun 330 bio-wheel power filter $25

I plan on having cichlids in the tank, maybe 6 or so.

Does anyone know why a cannister is better than the power filter?

I guess you only have to mess with it every 3 months or so, but changing filters on a power filter is pretty simple anyways.

I have no clue what kind of filters those penquins are, but it looks like they are some kind of hanging filters, which I wouldn't buy.

Eheim 2213 is easy to use, you can buy (if it's not including the packet) separate cartridge to that filter making it easier to wash filter materials. Because it's external filter, there is more room. However, you need tap-connectors, if they aren't in the packet, to separate filter from hoses. If you don't have tap-connectors, you will have problems with water and hoses when washing filter :rolleyes:

I plan on having cichlids in the tank, maybe 6 or so.

What kind?

No there is no better one, both will do the job, it's more a question of preference.

I prefer canisters because they hold a lot of media and are versatile in what htye can hold, and they can run completely silent, which is how I like my tanks. Hanging filters tend to be easier to service though, and cheaper to purchase.

I use canisters because they are quiet and don't take up any space around the top of the tank. IMHO they offer greater flexibility in terms of media and filtration options.

People that keep very messy fish, like some cichlids may prefer a biowheel as it's biological filtration is more efficient, although I freely admit, I've never even seen one let alone used one - my comment is based on other peoples experience and an understanding of the theory.

Well LL, in my experience bio-wheels are a hype.

No, I'm not saying they don't work, I'm saying that they came out to fix something that was never broken. In all my years of fish keeping Aquaclears alway proved to be very capable biological filters. Marineland introduced the bio-wheel because they needed something different on their HOB in order to compete with Hagen, who already had an established line of cheap, reliable, and effective filters. Canisters too, have proven that they work quite well without bio-wheels.

CA:

Whilst I would tend to agree with you that there is a lot of hype around them, it is difficult to ignore the extremely high Oxygenation of the bacterial media, with the increses in bacterial activity, that the biowheel creates.

As I said, I am familiar with the theory, I researched it for a while because I was arguing with someone who was rubbishing canisters, which although fine for regular use, do not clear sudden spikes as fast as a biowheel might, as I said, it is theory, and reports from a few people who's fishkeeping experience I figure was good enough to pass on.

Personally, I use Eheim cannisters. I don't want things cluttering up the area around the top of the tank, those wheels look flimsy and prone to blockage, and they make a noise, I'll stick with my Eheims thanks!

Thank you for your comments.

I am not sure if I am going cichlids still, but I will probably get the cannister filter.
Here is a link to where I am buying it from: Eheim 2213

It says it includes double tap valves?? are those for closing the water tubes off that go into the tank when you mess with the filter?
Also, does it include the tubes that go into the tank? If not, what would those be called and about how much would they cost?

One more question...this cannister would work with salt or freshwater right?

I am not totally sure what I am doing yet, but I know I only have room for a 29 gallon, so that is a definite. (live in an apartment, 2 tanks already)

The filter will come with everything you need, those valves are exactly for that purpose, they provide a spill free and simple way of disconnecting the hoses. These filters have been around for a very long time, before any of the more convenient products came out, so this extra hardware is their way of dealing with that. Despite being such an old design, it still remains one of the most effective.

thecichlidaddict said:
The filter will come with everything you need, those valves are exactly for that purpose, they provide a spill free and simple way of disconnecting the hoses. These filters have been around for a very long time, before any of the more convenient products came out, so this extra hardware is their way of dealing with that. Despite being such an old design, it still remains one of the most effective.
Thanks for the quick response.... I really shouldn't monitor these forums so closely while I'm at work, guess I am just addicted to my hobby.

I see you have a nice little webpage setup about cichlids, I will have to give it a read. I was thinking about cichlids, but I am also really into puffers so it will be a hard decision what to do with this new tank.

Another question, do you think the eheim ecco line is replacing the classic line? I thought they were the "economical" line, but it seems they are more expensive than the classic line.

The Ecco line are, in my opinion, inferior in build quality to the Classic Eheims, (all I use incidently). Some of my "Classics" are 15 years old now, apart from the odd seal, and very occasional impellor, they work as well today as they did out of the box.

You can use the Classics for marine, but you'll need different media.

The double valves are great, you close the taps either side of the break point then can disconnect the filter, do whatever you need to do, then couple it back up again with just an egg cup full of water lost in the process.

The Ecco line are, in my opinion, inferior in build quality to the Classic Eheims, (all I use incidently). Some of my "Classics" are 15 years old now, apart from the odd seal, and very occasional impellor, they work as well today as they did out of the box.

I agree.

the Ecco line came out as an answer to all the competitors that have come out, like Fluvals and Filstars. They offer all the features of the competitors at a similar price at the sacrifice of quality. The Classics, which are a bit more here, offer much higher quality at the expense of convenience features. I don't think you'll see the classic line ending any time soon.

Most reactions

Back