How many koi in 800gallon pond?

JuiceBox52

Passionate about fish and their care
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
How many koi could I put in an 800g pond?
@Deanasue

Roughly 12. Could go a little more but remember babies come along. The pond needs to be structurely sound too.

Roughly 12. Could go a little more but remember babies come along. The pond needs to be structurely sound too.
Thank you! How old are they when they spawn? It would be a big stock tank for horses etc. My mum has always wanted a pond so my dad wants to get one for her :)

Thank you! How old are they when they spawn? It would be a big stock tank for horses etc. My mum has always wanted a pond so my dad wants to get one for her :)
. Koi take longer than common goldfish, which I have in my pond. Koi are usually about 2-3 years old when they start spawning successfully and are in there prime for breeding between about 3-6 years old. However, they often spawn long after this but in smaller quantities of fry.

. Koi take longer than common goldfish, which I have in my pond. Koi are usually about 2-3 years old when they start spawning successfully and are in there prime for breeding between about 3-6 years old. However, they often spawn long after this but in smaller quantities of fry.
Awesome thanks @Deanasue always the best goldfishy expert!

Before we suggest a number of fish, you need to provide pond dimensions and whether it is filtered.

Koi carp can grow to 3 feet long (they regularly get to 18-24 inches long) and an 800 gallon pond might be deep, but not very long or wide. In my opinion, the minimum size pond for Koi carp is 20 feet long x 10 feet wide x 3 feet deep, preferably deeper and bigger.

Having a filter on the pond will allow you to keep more fish in the smaller volume of water.

------------------
You don't want animals drinking from a fish pond because the animals can catch internal protozoan infections from the water, and if the animal has any chemicals on it (flea or fly powder, or something on their feet), they can contaminate the pond water.

Before we suggest a number of fish, you need to provide pond dimensions and whether it is filtered.

Koi carp can grow to 3 feet long and an 800 gallon pond might be deep, but not very long or wide. In my opinion, the minimum size pond for Koi carp is 20 feet long x 10 feet wide x 3 feet deep, preferably deeper and bigger.

Having a filter on the pond will allow you to keep more fish in the smaller volume of water.

------------------
You don't want animals drinking from a fish pond because the animals can catch internal protozoan infections from the water, and if the animal has any chemicals on it (flea or fly powder, or something on their feet), they can contaminate the pond water.
It is 8 foot round. 2 feet deep. Will be filtered and have live plants
No animals will have access to it for drinking

Ahhh I am getting conflicting advice! Which is it? 12? or just babies? Something else?

You can have 10-12 fish in the pond but when they get bigger than 12 inches long, they will need a bit more room.

If you get little Koi (2-3 inches long), you can have 20-30 and just thin them out when they get bigger. And when they are over 12 inches long, put them in a bigger pond. Or just make a bigger pond to start with.

If they only grew to 1 foot long then your pond would be fine, but due to their maximum size, they will eventually need something bigger. Most Koi don't reach 3 foot long unless they are in rivers or huge ponds, but they will reach 18 inches without any problems at all.

Can you get a deeper pond so it is 8 foot diameter x 3 or 4 foot deep? That would help a bit but the overall diameter is the limiting factor.

You can have 10-12 fish in the pond but when they get bigger than 12 inches long, they will need a bit more room.

If you get little Koi (2-3 inches long), you can have 20-30 and just thin them out when they get bigger. And when they are over 12 inches long, put them in a bigger pond. Or just make a bigger pond to start with.

If they only grew to 1 foot long then your pond would be fine, but due to their maximum size, they will eventually need something bigger. Most Koi don't reach 3 foot long unless they are in rivers or huge ponds, but they will reach 18 inches without any problems at all.

Can you get a deeper pond so it is 8 foot diameter x 3 or 4 foot deep? That would help a bit but the overall diameter is the limiting factor.
Oh it is 3 feet. I accidentally put 2... sorry!

Are you doing water changes?
I think I would do water changes, not every week though, maybe every three weeks? Or 2?

Most reactions

Back