How many guppies in a 25g

Zorak

Reaction score
How many guppies can i safely fit in a 25tall????
Picture002.jpg

Males and female wise, or just male wise or just female wise or what? Also, any other fish you want to put in?

Annastasia said:
Males and female wise, or just male wise or just female wise or what? Also, any other fish you want to put in?
I want to have more females and hope a few fry survive by hiding in spots. Also i plan to add a pleco, and maybe a couple of swordtails or a female beta or 2. But my main goal is to have fry surviving on their own. Will the beta or pleco or swordtail eat more fry than the guppies? Any suggestions on protecting fry without having to set up a seperate tank; i have a breeding net.

Okay...so you want just girlies? Or you want males and females?

What kind of Pleco, too?

You'll need to have more then a couple Swordtails, too. Preferably like 3 females per male...and they may be a little big for a 25 high though.

Female Bettas need bigger groups...preferably 4+ to avoid fighting problems. Or just one. And these don't really go well with Guppies...

So you really need to decide what exactly you want, then we can help with numbers. :D

Edit: Yes, Swordies, and Bettas will eat fry too. If they all were in a tank with Guppies...which I wouldn't recommend.

Protecting fry...Have lots of plants. Floating Plants, plants with lots of little leaves close together, have little hiding places, wood with little holes, little caves, rocks...things like that.

Annastasia said:
Okay...so you want just girlies? Or you want males and females?

What kind of Pleco, too?

You'll need to have more then a couple Swordtails, too. Preferably like 3 females per male...and they may be a little big for a 25 high though.

Female Bettas need bigger groups...preferably 4+ to avoid fighting problems. Or just one. And these don't really go well with Guppies...

So you really need to decide what exactly you want, then we can help with numbers. :D

Edit: Yes, Swordies, and Bettas will eat fry too. If they all were in a tank with Guppies...which I wouldn't recommend.

Protecting fry...Have lots of plants. Floating Plants, plants with lots of little leaves close together, have little hiding places, wood with little holes, little caves, rocks...things like that.

what kind of pleco wouldn't cause trouble?

I have 4 males and 7 females right now and i would like to add more females and possibly one male but i am not sure. I want to have enough surviving fry that i will have an excess of guppies that i can both feed to my cichlids and sell to the LFS. How many "survivors" will be attractive and impressive like my males? If i provide plent of hiding places about what ratio of fry will reach maturity?

Ah, okay. How about this:

9 females
3-4 Males
4-5 Cories
Your pleco...which I'm going to hope is not a common, or a sailfin. Bristlenose Pleco may be okay...Clown Pleco...other small types of Plecos...
MAYBE a small school of Tetra or Rasbora

Sound okay?

Of course, if you do have Guppy fry, this stocking will not be okay for long, because you will have fry. Sooo...if you are planning on having fry...just keep it to the Guppies, and maybe your Pleco, or some Cories. And preferably leave the male and female ratio at what you have now.

The chances of some of the fry looking like your males are pretty good. Some may look like a combination of the male and female. If you want more info, there is a Genetics section in the Livebearer info above. :)

And usually it's about 50/50 between male and female...give or take a few. And it's pretty much impossible to tell the ratio of how many will survive. It will depend on what other fish, how much you feed, what type of filter (So they don't get sucked in) and how much the parents will eat their fry. Some of mine won't eat any. Some of mine will eat all. If I had to guess...I'd say 50-70%.

If it's an HOB filter, you can use a breeding net tied around it, or Pantyhose.

A cory is a small catfish...it will eat uneaten food off the bottom, and it's a very peaceful, and cute fish. Here's one of mine:

CoryBody1.jpg

There are many color variations too...such as Peppered, Albino, Bronze....to name a few. Also a lot of patterned ones.

thanks cute fish how big do they get and do they eat fry?

How big they get depends on the type. Pgymy Cories will only get to about 1.5". But most Cories you find get to about 2-3". They will sometimes eat fry...but not likely. And if they do, it may just be a little snack very occasionally. Usually...they do not eat fry. So don't worry. :)

Thanks for all the advice:thumbs: :thumbs:
just curious; what kind of tank(s) do you have?

Oooh, let's see...do you want tanks and fish? Ah well...I'll just list the tanks, then if you want the fish I'll add them in.

30 Gallon River Planted
30 Gallon Bogwood tank
30 Gallon Gourami Tank
20 Gallon Guppy and Catfish Tank
15 Gallon Platy Tank

And that's all my community tanks...I have 2 10 gallon Betta tanks, and 2 5 gallon Betta tanks.

Most reactions

Back