How Many Fish Should I Start With?

mbriggs84

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, I just completed a fishless cycle in my 29 gallon tank (finally! took just under 2 months!). I will be going for my first fish in the next day or two and just had a simple question. I'm going with a small school of 6 zebra danios. How many should I get at first? Is it ok to get all 6 or should I only get a couple at first? Thanks for any help!

Hi, I just completed a fishless cycle in my 29 gallon tank (finally! took just under 2 months!). I will be going for my first fish in the next day or two and just had a simple question. I'm going with a small school of 6 zebra danios. How many should I get at first? Is it ok to get all 6 or should I only get a couple at first? Thanks for any help!

I think that 6 will be fine, as they have to be in groups anyway
smile.gif

I think they can get stressed out if they are not kept in there proper groups of 6+
What sort of fish are you thinking about putting in with them, in time obviously..

What are the measurements of your tank? Danios are very quick, zippy fish that would do well in a longer rather than taller tank. As has been said danios should be kept in groups and you should be fine to add 6 at the same time. Just keep an eye on the levels after stocking a few fish at any one time :good:

You're safe to put in your full stocking at once, that's the whole point of fishless cycling.

my tank measures 30 in long and 18 in tall. I was thinking about eventually adding a school of corys and a school of rasboras. I wanted to go with the danios mainly for economic reasons. They are the cheapest, and I've read they are very hardy. I was planning on adding the more expensive rasboras and corys after the tank has matured a bit.

You're safe to put in your full stocking at once, that's the whole point of fishless cycling.
Agreed! After I finished my fishless cycle I added 6 angels 3 gouramis and 5 corys without even a blip of a spike. Thats the whole point of a fishless cycle.

Most reactions

Back