How long will be long enough?

Red15

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So my first batch of guppy fry is 7 weeks into life.
They've come from dumbo ear platinum red tail parents and most of them are half an inch in size.
Thing is, they had gained a yellow tone on their tails at the age of 3 weeks. That yellow has now turned into an orangish-yellow(not orange!) and I yet do not see a single gonopodium in the tank.
How long will it be before I can finally distinguish the genders? Or is it that they are all females?
I dropped one fry today in the main tank, since even its small mouthed mother tried to eat it, I realized they are not yet ready to go in there where I have molly and swordtail to think about.
How long it is before they turn mature enough-both in color and size for a community tank?

I have platy fry who are 3 months old and I still can’t tell the genders, so it might be a while. Mine are pretty big and could probably go in the community tank, but since I’m giving away most of them I don’t want to have to go searching.

So my first batch of guppy fry is 7 weeks into life.
They've come from dumbo ear platinum red tail parents and most of them are half an inch in size.
Thing is, they had gained a yellow tone on their tails at the age of 3 weeks. That yellow has now turned into an orangish-yellow(not orange!) and I yet do not see a single gonopodium in the tank.
How long will it be before I can finally distinguish the genders? Or is it that they are all females?
I dropped one fry today in the main tank, since even its small mouthed mother tried to eat it, I realized they are not yet ready to go in there where I have molly and swordtail to think about.
How long it is before they turn mature enough-both in color and size for a community tank?
Well, guppies will develop in to adulthood at different ages. So, I mean that individually, they don't have the same pace in development. if males or females start to get some coloration, that doesn't mean that the male or female traits will develop at the same pace. Most will but a number won't.

But those who have a trained eye, can determine the sex of each individual young specimen at a very early stage.

The first developing colors can be the final colors but don't have to. If they start off in a different color in comparison to the final color, it means that the first coloration is a recessive color. So, you won't see those first colors again but they do carry the gene of those specific colors recessively. For instance, a male starts of as yellow in the fins and will finish as a red finned specimen, using a yellow finned female (of a different strain), a serious number of those offspring will have yellow fins again instead of red as a final color.

Most reactions

Back