How Long To Wait Before Using Self Mixed Salt.

DarrenUnwin

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

Could anyone tell me what the safe time is between mixing the salt with the RO water then adding to the tank.

I do a 10 gallon change every fornight but have been away on holiday and forgot the mix the salt before going. In the past I have always mixed it a week in advance but the tank is due a change this weekend.

Thanks for any replies.

I do mine the night before normally but i do mix it only a few hours before adding to the tank sometimes

Just make sure it is the same temp and all the salt is mixed in :)

I wait 24-48, ie, mix it and aerate it the day before. I would NOT use it right after mixing. SH

depends how large a tank volume compared to your replacement volume. I have used mixed water immidiately beore in an emergency situation (my 30 gal cracked and I needed water fast). Typically in the time it takes to mix it, aerate it, and get it up to temp it is fine to put in.

Yeah, I've gone as quickly as a couple hours after mixing and aerating adn as slow as 3 days. Did the couple hours one cause I was in a hurry. I wouldnt reccomend doing it in 2 hours though in case its not really mixed ;)

I usually pore it out before i go to work, chuck in a good powerhead and then use it when i get back from work, which is usually about 9 hours later.

Ben

Most reactions

Back