How Long To Soak?

Fizzy77

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi
smile.png

So I got my two pieces of Jati wood from SwellUK today (1 small bit & 1 medium bit) Really pleased with it as it was a bargain price and both bits are a gorgeous colour and bigger than I expected
smile.png

Just wondered how long is best to soak it for? I have it in a a big tub covered with tank water.

Thanks

Depends on the wood and if you want the tannin look effect. The way I have soaked bog wood in the past is to use boiling water not tank water and replace every few hours until the tannin stopped leeching. Sometimes it takes weeks sometimes days and sometimes it doesn't need soaking.

hope this helped

I soaked my Mopani for about a week. I changed the water every day. Had this been going in my betta tank, I would have only soaked for about two or three days so that the tannins wouldn't be overwhelming. The Mopani was going in my 55, though, which has equipment prone to staining, like some of my filter tubes.

If you want the water to be super clear, soak it for at least a week with water changes until the water is no longer tea colored. Otherwise, remove the wood when the water has reached a color you are happy with.

Most reactions

Back