How long do frozen bloodworms last and how much should I feed?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

P&BtheBetta

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've had frozen bloodworms in the fridge from like 3-6 months, idk the exact time I got them. How long does it take for them to go bad?
Also, how many bloodworms should I feed, and how frequent? Thanks. :)

Are they in the fridge or Freezer. If they are in the Freezer they last about 3 months. If they are in the fridge about 3-4 days. Feed them no more than once or twice a week. If you have Cichlids you can feed the Cichlids more frequently. Make sure that all the worms are eaten you don't want any lying around the tank decaying.

The brand of bloodworms I use are sealed in individual cubes. If yours are the same they should be OK. If they show any signs of freezer burn or the package(s) are open then I wouldn't use them. I have used an old package of brine shrimp or worms that fell into the back of the freezer more than once without issue. That said I store mine in a chest freezer that doesn't use a defrost cycle (the defrost cycle warms the freezer slightly every so often to prevent the frost from accumulating)

If they are in the fridge, or your freezer isn't very cold, I wouldn't use them. You are likely only saving $6 by using them.

Most modern fridges and freezers have an auto defrost cycle they run once a day. If you have the bloodworms in the freezer and it has an auto defrost cycle, try to use them up within 1 month. If you have a chest freezer, they don't normally have an auto defrost cycle and frozen food can last a year or more in that.

If your freezer does have an auto defrost cycle, put the packets of bloodworms and other frozen fish food into an icecream bucket with a block of ice or freezer bottle in the bottom of the bucket and keep the lid on it. Put the bucket in the middle of the freezer away from the back because the back is the hottest part when defrosting.

Most reactions

Back