How Does Your Cichlid Tank Look

jamesmacc

Fishaholic
Reaction score
hi all, tank has finaly arrived and just getting the smaller pieces together. i have searched google and youtube for ideas of how people layout there mbuna tanks. because of were i live i cant get a hold of limestone or slate. the best i had do is buy 25kg of ocean rock on ebay. i would like a few plants but im aware the fish might tear them apart. could anyone be kind enough to give me some advise or even pictures of your layouts.
thanks, james

check out the journal section at the top of this forum theres lots of tanks/ideas in there :good:

Here is a pic of my mbuna tank (I haven't got the mbuna yet, I should be getting them on the weekend).

210lMbunaTank04092011.jpg

What's the size of the tank? I think I have about 1 kg of granite per 4 litres of volume. I have about 1/4 of mine filled with rocks which are are along the back wall, almost to the top, although ideally would be close to 1/2 rocks. Also, I come from a planted tank background so keep various plants (giant Vallis is ok, normal Vallis gets chewed up, Anubias is ok, Java moss isn't eaten, but does get shredded) with the Mbuna to help with the nitrates between water changes.

its 50x18x26 385l. i will have a good look through the journals again, i did look through them a few weeks ago but a second time wont hurt :)

Here is a pic of my mbuna tank (I haven't got the mbuna yet, I should be getting them on the weekend).

210lMbunaTank04092011.jpg
aim for around 1/3 rock 2/3 water . also the caves are on the small side . fine for small juveniles but once adult size you will basicly have a "rock face" that doesnt provide any retreats

I'm waiting to get some more rocks, and I'm going to build them out towards the front to extend the caves. :good:

youre taking up all your volume with rocks . i would reduce the height of the existing rocks , stak them so the gaps are bigger and use the leftover rocks for the forming of other caves . it will be a much better environment for the fish :good:

I see what you mean, I'll see what I can do. I'm struggling to make bigger caves whilst keeping it looking good. I'll put another pic up once I've finished.

The rocks aren't taking up a great deal of volume, they are only thick on the right, where they are covering the filter and heater pipes.

it is tricky trying to acheive the balance between getting the look YOU want and the environment the fish want . mine took all night and im still not 100% happy with it . il probably end up with a complete rescape before long lol

i had a wee idea the other day that might work. cut some black 4" pvc pipeing to make tunnels and caves and then cover them with ocean rock. and aim for 1/3rd rock to 2/3 water as you have said

yeah that does work well . it gives loads of caves and you can still aim for a fairly natural look :good:

I put my fish in about a week ago. 55 gallon with Mbuna.
Photo08102132.jpg

Photo08311141.jpg

Photo08311140.jpg

Photo08311140_1.jpg

nice tank mate :) can any of you tell me if river bolders or bolders from the beach down the road will be ok in the tank if they are steam cleaned and boiled etc to get any nastys off?

I recently rescaped my tank, still not 100% happy with it as I`m still not used to seeing plants in there, but it`s better than it was. I`ve placed the slate so that it looks more 'natural' than it did which I think looks better than 'stacking and putting it in place' (if that makes sense?)

IMG_2942.jpg

Most reactions

Back