How do you sex plecos?

samsung-401

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have absolutley no idea on how to breed clown plecos, I don't even know how to sex them. -_- Can somone give me some info on how to breed and sex them?

right...

As for sexing them, acording to PlanetCatfish, males grow elongated interopercular odontodes during the breeding season. Males develop noticeable odontodes along the dorsum as well.

Clowns are aparently one of the easier plecs to breed.

You'll need a group of 5 (give or take).

They will also do a lot better in a species tank so you can get everything how they like it and the wont be hastled by other fish.

30 gals is a good size.

you'll then need some where for them to spawn. (tight caves or small plastic tubes will do nicely)

there are loads of sites out there for advice.

(PS - i've not bread them by the way - just read up a lot and most plecs are the same - eg our bristle noses and our columbian zebras both have similar habbits)

Thank you for the help. I currently only have 2 males (I think) so it looks like I'm going to have to take a trip to the lfs to get some females. :rolleyes:

good luck - its not a quick process.

It'll take months before they are happy with their environment.
and then you have to hope they are up for it :)

we fell on our feet with our bristlenoses. it only took 4 months to get them into the swing of things.

our L129's have been in their setup now for 4.5 months and things are looking ok.
They are now a lot more friendly towards each other and a few of them are fattening up well :)

Most reactions

Back