How do you clean a Cannister hoses with out a hose cleaner?

Barry Tetra

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
As the titles says, I'm strugging cleaning the cannister filter hoses.

We don't even have a hose cleaner here :/

Does your shower have one of those removeable/adjustable heads? Some can put out good enough pressure to clean gunk out of filter impellers on my equipment, before I decided to buy different sized brushes. As much as I hate using tap water to clean fish stuff, sometimes it needs to happen. I then rinse everything off in conditioned water, and add conditioner to the tank.

I used a garden hose with a adjustable nozzle on the end and simply sprayed the hose out. If it's really bad and you want it super clean, pour some straight bleach in the hose and leave it to soak for 30 minutes, then wash it out really well with tap water. But normally you just blast it out with a garden hose.

If they are corrugated, bacteria will populate inside these tubes. Why would you clean them? Unless they are completely obstructed, I wouldn't even think of cleaning them. They may crap out a little gunk on a restart, but....eh.

Just found this thing on sale in the glocery store and bought one.

Attachments

• 4A5A611D-3F29-4421-8B47-0526BDEE64A8.jpeg
    4A5A611D-3F29-4421-8B47-0526BDEE64A8.jpeg
    36.6 KB · Views: 51
Tried my best to clean the hoses with the options mentioned, but... eventually got the hose cleaner pictured above. I was surprised how much gunk builds up inside and affects the flow. Works "Great".

Good Luck !

Most reactions

Back