How Do I Vacuum The Tank?

sunrise

Reaction score
I'm very frustrated. I bought a small gravel vacuum for my tank and I followed the instructions -- it says to repeatedly move the cyllinder up and down rapidly over the gravel to begin siphoning. Well, I did that, and no water rose through the tubes. I tried to completely submerge the tubes to fill them up and get the water flowing, but no luck -- it only terrified the fish. I'm getting water everywhere. Surely there's an easier way to do this? :angry:

I'm very frustrated. I bought a small gravel vacuum for my tank and I followed the instructions -- it says to repeatedly move the cyllinder up and down rapidly over the gravel to begin siphoning. Well, I did that, and no water rose through the tubes. I tried to completely submerge the tubes to fill them up and get the water flowing, but no luck -- it only terrified the fish. I'm getting water everywhere. Surely there's an easier way to do this? :angry:

ill tell you what ive learned to do....is fill up the cup type portion full of water from your tank..then pick it up out of the water so that the water begins to drain...once the water starts getting low in the cup section, put it back under the water, and you should have a syphon going!

Hiya Sunrise,

It can take a little getting use to. Have half the vacuum out the water and half in, then as you repeatedly move the largest end up and down the water will take and start going past the zenith of the tube. Then once the flow starts you'll be on your way.

Good luck :good:

Martin

Hi, welcome to the forum. I'm new here too and I know exactly what you mean about using a gravel vacuum. I've used mine three times now and I find that it is a bit hit and miss how long it takes the water to start siphining out. I'm still doing a fishless cycle so at least I can practice without frightening the life out of the fish.
I'll try kudv4yn3 method and see if it is better.

Good luck :good:

moving it up and down can be tempermental as any blockage in that valve results in no suction from moving it up and down.
as mentioned put the vac under the water until all tubes are full...lift the hose out and let it hang into the bucket...and away it goes.

What I do is lay the large end, the "sucker" end I guess you could call it, down barely under the surface of the water, letting it fill.

I then tilt it upside down, so the tube is at the bottom of it and the opening is higher, so the water runs into the tube. When the water in the larger part of the siphon gets low, stop the opening at the end of the tube with your finger.

Now submerge the larger part of the siphon again, filling it up, and again let the water run into the small tube. Once the water that is in the small tube makes it all the way to the opening in the small tube, you have a siphon, and as long as the opening in the large end stays underwater, it will suck the water and hopefully poo and/or unused food up with it. :)

The key is getting water throughout the siphon, while keeping air out. When done, simply lift the large end out of the water. :)

Most reactions

Back