How Do I Transport A Pleco?

norbie

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Im picking up a plec later and need to know how to get it out of its tank and then tranport it to another (via car).

Is a bag, bucket or something else better? :S

Just net it out and puy it in a water tight bag (make sure it doesn't have sharp edges (the fish could trap it self in them (you can jut glue the corners on the outside, so that there isn't a hole in the inside))), fill the bag with air (at least 2 times the amount of water), tie the bag, and you are ready to go.

EDIT: PS: Is that fast enough??

hehe thankyou for your fast reply :)

I'm not sure I have a big enough bag (he wont be able to swim around in it, just sit there. Is that ok?

Will only be a 10 minute journey

hi
im probably too late but do you have a cooler or something you can put the fish in the bag in??? you know the sort of thing that you would take food or beer to a picnic in. it will help keep the temp stable & stop the bag wobbling about
good luck

Personally I'd say a bucket will work better for a plec. Plecs tend to destroy (not on purpose) the bag with their locked fins (Poking small holes in the bag with the egdes). You'll more than likely end up with a leaking bag =/

Though hope all goes well =)

Personally I'd say a bucket will work better for a plec. Plecs tend to destroy (not on purpose) the bag with their locked fins (Poking small holes in the bag with the egdes). You'll more than likely end up with a leaking bag =/

Though hope all goes well =)

I'd agree with this. Surely a bucket with a secured lid would be better for both the fish, and the water it might need.

Good luck!

anything that is big enough and water tight, a big biscuit box, would do if you dont have a bucket, then wrap loads of clingfilm over it sealed with a rubber band or selotape?

I got to transport a 6 inch plec and an 11 inch plec

the thing with larger plecos is they can rip the bag quite easily with their spines, as well as nets. The 6 incher we just used a big net and put him in a tupperware container. If the ride isn't too long (15-20 minutes) wou can get away with maybe 2 inches of water and one inch of air. If it is longer, open the container every 10-15 minutes so her gets oxygen.

If you don't have a big enough net, put your hand in a large fish bag, use 2 for safety as they can sting. Just grab him and put him in the container. It's not fun but it beat untaggling them from torn apart nets.

I used a bucket to transport a plec, catching it was the hard part. I didn't fill the bucket very full, just about 4 inches of water in a 2.5g bucket. It was a 40 mile trip and I made sure the bucket was wedged behind the back seat and the temp in the car was similar to the tank. Plec was fine. Good luck!

ok so he was much bigger than i thought lol

about 25cm long!

I used a large water bottle, chopped the top off, and found a tupperware container that fitted perfectly on top, for a lid!

Picture in case anybody else needs to do the same kind of thing:
pleco_container.jpg

Most reactions

Back