How Do I Swap My Tetratec Filter For A Eheim 2028?

newfishkeeper999

Reaction score
im new to the hobby i have a 300l tank with a tetratec 1200 external filter its been running about 4 months .i have now bought a second hand eheim pro 2 2028 with all the media used but good condition ive just washed it thougherly with lank water it gleaming lol its now been sitting there for about a week till my eheim tubing arrives through the post just wondered what the process was to install it ??do i have both filters running at the same time till the bacteria builds up in the eheim ?or do i turn off old filter completely and put a little bit of the old media in my new filter does that make sense :blink: please help

You could do either, the better option would be to have both filters running until the ehiem builds up another good bacteria.If you just switch some of the media over (you could do all of it at once if it fits, this in theory should work fine) it may not be able to cope, depending on your stocking levels.

Why not have both running all the time? :good:

Why are you swaping the Tetratec for a Eheim ?

because eheim is the best and i got it very cheap ,nothing wrong with the tetratec though works perfect im just a fashon victim lol

You could do either, the better option would be to have both filters running until the ehiem builds up another good bacteria.If you just switch some of the media over (you could do all of it at once if it fits, this in theory should work fine) it may not be able to cope, depending on your stocking levels.

Why not have both running all the time? :good:

thanks for that

Having both running at the same time sounds like the safest option, just make sure you don't remove the old filter beofre the eheim has developed the required bacteria.

I've just upgraded to a tetratec yesterday. I've currently got 2 filters working. I put some mature media into the basket of the new one and i'm going to keep it running for a month, but i may even keep both of them running. But if you choose this option, leave for a few weeks to let the new filter cycle.

Most reactions

Back