How Do I Set Multiple Tanks Up

beechey

Fish Herder
Reaction score
As the title says I've got 2 tanks in garage both decent sizes for whati want but all are just glass no lids etc how can I get one filter to run both of them as what to set both my discus pairs in the tanks been wanting to do this for ages but just don't know how to do it

External/sump, some kind of T or Y junction affair that allows the in/out pipes from 2 tanks to be incorporated into 1 pipe for the filtering, spray bar across both tanks.

Disadvantage: if one of your discus gets sick, you will have to treat both tanks as they will all be in the same water.

Might be easier to have seperate sponge filters for each tank, with a large air pump and gang valve?

Yeah are large air pump might be a much better option.
Have u done this yourself as pics would be great

External/sump, some kind of T or Y junction affair that allows the in/out pipes from 2 tanks to be incorporated into 1 pipe for the filtering, spray bar across both tanks.

Disadvantage: if one of your discus gets sick, you will have to treat both tanks as they will all be in the same water.

Might be easier to have seperate sponge filters for each tank, with a large air pump and gang valve?

No, but I believe that's the method used by forum members like Tolak and VickiandKev who have huge numbers of tanks set up. An air pump would be cheaper to run, and you can buy gang valves on ebay for not much. Whereas setting up a sump/external for that sort of thing, especially with the extra bits you'd have to buy the split the pipes, would be quite expensive.

Defo goin to look in to this just gotta make a sort of stand for them ...

If anyone has pics of there set up please post .
No, but I believe that's the method used by forum members like Tolak and VickiandKev who have huge numbers of tanks set up. An air pump would be cheaper to run, and you can buy gang valves on ebay for not much. Whereas setting up a sump/external for that sort of thing, especially with the extra bits you'd have to buy the split the pipes, would be quite expensive.

If your setting up a lot of tanks i'd go for an external sump that way you can create a lot of filter capacity to handle all the bio load.

Yeah how does air pump filters hold good ph levels and good bateria etc and I will be using mostly tap treated water as my tap water is perfect ph I just use half ro and it always makes them lay eggs...

quote name='Monty-2010' date='01 March 2011 - 09:04 PM' timestamp='1299013462' post='2946473']
If your setting up a lot of tanks i'd go for an external sump that way you can create a lot of filter capacity to handle all the bio load.
[/quote]

Have you taken a look on youtube for some ideas, i found it pretty good used some of the ideas to set up my diy sump for 2 of my tanks here's a link to some videos

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=setting+up+a+sump&aq=f

Cool did not thimk of that thanks cool .
Have you taken a look on youtube for some ideas, i found it pretty good used some of the ideas to set up my diy sump for 2 of my tanks here's a link to some videos

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=setting+up+a+sump&aq=f

Yeah there are some pretty good ideas, they aren't to difficult and also are quite cheap to put into place which is always a bonus :good:

How large are the tanks, how many tanks, and what do you plan on stocking? This will determine the pump needed, as well as the distribution setup & filters that need to be run.

Both tanks are 2 and a half foot by 1 foot suitable for 2 discus each for a Breeding tank setup so now think all I need is a big pump and think I've already got heaters and got 1 light strip that might be long enough for both tanks .
How large are the tanks, how many tanks, and what do you plan on stocking? This will determine the pump needed, as well as the distribution setup & filters that need to be run.

Most reactions

Back