How do I know when a new tank is cycled?

FishHobby99

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Started following Tim’s instructions with ammonia and bacterial starter. Tossed in a cycled sponge filter. Stopped doing Tim‘s. Params all good today. But I’d get the same if I tested tap water. Is there a good way to test if system ok? Want to add some fancy goldfish.

I only planted it today. It’s 20 gallons. I want it to be a cold water tank with 3 fancy goldfish. Not exactly sure exactly what kind, but saw some at the saltwater pet store that were gorgeous.
D59B01C8-7A9B-4648-845F-3E5811CA6FDB.jpeg

S
I only planted it today. It’s 20 gallons. I want it to be a cold water tank with 3 fancy goldfish. Not exactly sure exactly what kind, but saw some at the saltwater pet store that were gorgeous.View attachment 144568
So I would now wait for two weeks and the plants are growing, then add one fish at a time over the next couple of months.

S

So I would now wait for two weeks and the plants are growing, then add one fish at a time over the next couple of months.
That’s EXACTLY what I will do. I’d be devastated if I put in 3 fish soon and they died. Thanks. 🙏🏻

You do realize that members here will tell you that you can't keep goldfish in that tank. But from my point of view they will be fine in there just make sure they are double tail varieties like Black Moors or Fantails.

Last edited:
yes, I was waiting for it. Have to wonder if some read & hear fish stories & never kept the fish.

I have 3 in a 40 G tank. No noticeable growth in months. Many plants. Good water chems. If they or the new fish require a larger tank I have the space and $$$ to go much bigger. I am reading not all goldfish have the potential for growth as do some types. (Of goldfish)

Last edited:
If you add 3ppm ammonia and if in 24 hours the ammonia level is 0 and nitrites are 0, then you are cycled. If not cycled, you need to wait till ammonia comes down , nitrites go up, and eventually nitrates go up. Once nitrites come down to 0 you may be cycled but do the above test to be sure you are cycled. Follow the fishless cycling procedure on our forum precisely to properly cycle the aquarium. The added beneficial bacteria addition and the cycled media should help quicken the cycling considerably.

If you add 3ppm ammonia and if in 24 hours the ammonia level is 0 and nitrites are 0, then you are cycled.
This is the only safe way to know if your tank is cycled. If it isn't then you need to carry on with a fishless cycle.

If you add 3ppm ammonia and if in 24 hours the ammonia level is 0 and nitrites are 0, then you are cycled. If not cycled, you need to wait till ammonia comes down , nitrites go up, and eventually nitrates go up. Once nitrites come down to 0 you may be cycled but do the above test to be sure you are cycled. Follow the fishless cycling procedure on our forum precisely to properly cycle the aquarium. The added beneficial bacteria addition and the cycled media should help quicken the cycling considerably.
This answers the thread title question perfectly.

Most reactions

Back