How do I go about changing heater in my tank?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Charlotte2001

Reaction score
So I got the tetra 105l start tank which came with the filter and heater. However the heater is pre-set and isn't hot enough for my betta. So do I just take the old one out and put the new one in and adjust the temperature? I'm gonna guess its not as easy as that?

I'd run both at the same time until you get to the desired temperature. Then pull the old one, monitor afterwards and adjust accordingly.
Make sure you have a thermometer and take the dial on the heater itself as olny a colder or hotter.

I would just swap them. The thermostats on most heaters are not very accurately calibrated; setting it to 25 deg C on the dial doesn't necessarily mean it will heat the water to 25 deg. Use a thermometer of the kind that goes inside the tank.
If it's too cool, turn the heater dial up till the light clicks on. leave it a few hours and see what the water temp is. If it's not high enough, turn it up a bit more, then check again after a few hours.
If the water is warmer than you want, turn the dial on the heater up till the light comes on, then turn it sown slowly till the light goes out. Check after a few hours and adjust till you get the temp where you want it.

Once you have it set to give the temp you want, make a note of what the dial says. if you ever need to treat the fish for ich, you have to turn the heater up, then back down again once the ich has gone, so you need to know exactly where to return it to.

I would just swap them. If you really wanted to, you could leave them both in there. But I wouldn’t recommend it. Just make sure when you take the old one out, you don’t automatically put it in cold water. That could crack/damage the heater. :)

Most reactions

Back