How Consistent Is Your Tap Water?

BlueRam

Reaction score
As I want to set up a freshwater aquarium, I have periodically been testing my tap water so I know what type of fish I can keep. When I first tested my tap water 2 months ago, the parameters where -

Nitrate 3
pH 8.5
GH 240 mg/l
KH 180 mg/l

From the water I was getting out of the tap, I thought I would keep Malawi Cichlids as it would be perfect. However, I have noticed that lately, the Nitrate levels have risen to 10 and the pH lowered to 7.5. So this got me thinking, how often do people check their tap water to see that what they put into the tank when performing a water change is exactly what they think it is?

I would personally like to keep a planted tank but when I measured the water with a pH of 8.5, there was no chance. However, with a pH of 7.5, it is possible although I have to overcome the GH and KH levels. What this goes to show is that if I had setup a Malawi tank, I may now be wondering why my pH levels were dropping!

Good point..

I am not a religious tap water checker, in ignorance to the subject I would of just thought that the tap water stats would stay relatively similar. But obviously not.

Most reactions

Back