How Can You Tell If Male Or Female?

allaboutthefish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm new to bettas and was wondering how can you tell if their male or female. Sorry for the stupid question but i just want to know as much as possable before i get one.

Generally speaking:

Males are showier, have longer finnage, slimmer bodies, and can be more colorful.
Females have shorter finnage, are plump, have longer bodies, and can be less colorful.

Generally speaking, of course. :)

About 90% of the bettas you find in cups at the local pet store are male.

Females have a little ovipositor that shows just under their tummy's this is usually a sure indicator of a female because you can't always decide based on fins especially with the Plakat lines where the fins are short on both males and females.

Check out the photo you will see it more clearly on my female cambo with red fins.

Attachments

• Females.JPG
    Females.JPG
    11.6 KB · Views: 27
Generally speaking:

Males are showier, have longer finnage, slimmer bodies, and can be more colorful.
Females have shorter finnage, are plump, have longer bodies, and can be less colorful.

Generally speaking, of course. :)

About 90% of the bettas you find in cups at the local pet store are male.

A bit like guppy's then, the males tend to have the most colour and tend to be more attractive out of the males and females. I've been looking at getting one for about 3 months now and the more i research them the more i like them. I'm gonna keep researching untill i feel i know enough to get one. I'll be going away for six months so i'll see if i'm still into them after that.

Love this guy he's gorgeous

Attachments

• 761438013.jpg
    761438013.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 29

Most reactions

Back