How Can I Tell My Bettas Spawned?

guppy!

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
my female doesn't look any different,but my male is chasing her with the protective flare now, and not leading her to the nest. the nest is in a Styrofoam cup and i cannot see the bubbles close enough to see any eggs. what actions do i look for from him without the female (now that i have moved her to a separate tank)that will show he spawned and is taking care of the eggs?

were you watching them spawn? because if you were, there would have been eggs falling after they 'hugged' and then the male would have picked them up and put them in the nest. if you did not watch, then keep watching the male. if there is eggs in the nest, the will fall at times and he will pick them up and put them back in the nest.

no eggs.............. my female wasnt very respondent anyways.............I have set up a better more prepared tank and am going to buy a younger male and younger female with eggs...........

how old are they? younger fish are not always the way to go as younger means less experience, you saw them spawn but no eggs falling so theres more than likely no eggs, you will be able to see them in the nest if there are any.

please don't take offence to this Guppy but if you don't know how he should be reacting to a nest potentially full of eggs then you can't have researched very well :/

please don't take offence to this Guppy but if you don't know how he should be reacting to a nest potentially full of eggs then you can't have researched very well :/

i hate to say i agree. you should have known if there was eggs because you should have watched :/ be like me and research until your head explodes then breed. i tried and failed last year because i was not ready. take a break and research!! ;)

i sat there for half a day watching my pair, had to be 1 of the smoothest spawns ever! no nips in sight both parents came out in perfect condition

i was VERY shocked, it was my 1st attempt, very worried about it as theres soo much that can go wrong

as there a lot of eggs? what is there to worry about other than the normal stuff?

loads of eggs! had way over 100 fry for the 1st 2 weeks then they slowly dropped down *still have no idea why* but am left with 2 at 4 months old.

Nipping mainly but sometimes they can kill each other thats why its so important to be around whilst there spawning

well sorry if I disappointed you.............. this was just a review on everything.............. may as well just stick to live bearers if this is going to happen........I whatched as long as I could but I have to sleep for more than five hours you now.............. :-(

Most reactions

Back