How Can I Tell If My Bettas Are Cured Of Fin Rot?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ghost-Echo-MCM25

Reaction score
I have two male bettas that sadly had a bad case of fin rot. My one male, Ghost, was not nearly as affected by it as my other one. The two of them have never been kept in the same tank, and I know them contracting it is completely my own fault, but I've been trying so hard to help these boys get back to where they should be. I've been consistently changing out their water and mixing in the proper dosage of aquarium salt and water treatment consistently now since January. About a week ago, I tried treating both of them with medication and followed the instructions on how to properly treat them for it, and I'm just still uncertain whether or not its been enough to heal them of it. I know fin regrowth can take some time and that the new tissue is extremely fragile, but I'm concerned that I haven't seen any progress whatsoever. Echo looks worse than he did a few weeks ago, and I just feel extremely defeated at this point as to what more I can do for them. Both of them are still eating normally and are feisty like they usually are, I just feel like they haven't made any improvement fin wise. I also removed everything out of their tanks to keep from any new bacteria growth from forming until I know they're going to be fine. It might be overkill, but I'm trying to make as sterile environment as possible. But now I'm also concerned with not having any decor in their tanks isn't healthy for them either. I've had bettas as a kid, but never took care of them on my own. I've had these guys for about 4 1/2 months now, and I love them to pieces. Any and all advice you guys can give me on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

It isn't a good idea to keep fish in bare tanks, they will get stressed, and that can lead to physical illnesses. The bacteria that live in tank surfaces and filters are different to the ones that cause fin rot. Sterile environments are, perhaps surprisingly, not natural or healthy.

It will take the fins a while to grow back, but the fin rot should be gone if you can see no redness or white fluff; the fin should look 'normal', although ragged and short.

How big are your tanks and are they filtered? Have you tested the water at all?

Fin rot comes from dirty water 99% of the time.

Keep a min tank size of 10 litres and preferably 20 with a filter and heater, ~25 degrees C, and some vegetation for them to hide in. If the tank is cycled, do a 30% change with dechlorinated water every 2 weeks. If not, a 30% change every two days. Leave out salt and medication.

You will know the fin rot is healing as the new growth will start out clear/white.

If the tank is cycled, do a 30% change with dechlorinated water every 2 weeks
Every 2 weeks? Weekly water changes if the tank is cycled.

For one betta in a 20 litre tank, every 2 weeks a 30% change is plenty in my experience - but weekly never hurts :D

Most reactions

Back