How Beginner Is Beginner?

ddm18

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi,

Possibly a stupid question, and one that I appreciate it will be difficult to answer, but... in several articles here and elsewhere, I've read that a nano tank is not for beginners - I'm trying to establish whether or not I'd be classed as a 'beginner'!

I've had two medium-large freshwater tanks over the past 10 years or so, with a small break in the middle, but my current tank (270 litres) has been running for about 5 years, and I consider myself somewhere between intermediate and expert in the freshwater world - certainly wouldn't compare myself with several of the regulars around here, but my tank is pretty successful. Anyway, I've just inherited a 15gal tank, and am trying to decide what to do with it, and, obviously, thinking about a nano reef.

I have absolutely no experience of marine whatsoever, but am fully aware of (and prepared for) the necessary research and effort in getting it up and running.

In case it makes a difference (and I'm not sure why it would) my initial thoughts are to just start with fish only + live rock, and, over time, add some corals - that's about as far as I've got so far - don't really want to spend all the time researching it if I'm going to decide that I'm too beginner in the end (that would just be depressing!). Oh, and I'm 25, with a regular 9-5 job, so no crazy hours, and I think I'm relatively mature..!

Let me know your thoughts - any opinions much appreciated.

Well, the reason for larger tanks being suggested is that its much easier to control and keep good water levels in a larger tank. I would say go for the 15g personally (when you're ready for it) if you can't have a larger tank for whatever reason. Just read up as much as you can so you know how to fix things before they happen (or prevent). If you do weekly water changes, and water level checks, and don't overstock, i really don't think you'll have a problem.

Another suggestion: Get really Cured/mature live rock. Stuff thats been sitting in a tank curing for at least a month or two if you can find some. I started out with marine using a 29g (a larger nano) using rocks that had been curing for 3 months around. I had about a 2 day cycle literally (probably from the car ride home), and have had no water level problems in the past two months. I contribute a large portion of that to the LR.

Good luck :good:

if you put the man hours into doing the reasearch youll do alrite. I went straight into salwtwter with a nano but i did like 3 months of reaserch.

Go for it! If you've been doing aquariums that long, you'll know the basics anyway just do a bit of reading. Good live rock makes everything so much easier.

SLC

Great - thanks for the replies guys, now I'll have to start reading! Expect some more questions over the next few weeks :)

Any useful links would be really cool - obviously I've seen the multiple pinned topics here, but anything else that people have found useful would be great.

I agree. Nano's are not too difficult if you are disciplined about maintenance and patient (and careful) on stocking. The obvious problem is when things go wrong there can be a domino effect and tank crash as water chemistry changes quickly with so little water volume. Lots of reading is very helpful here as you can benefit from the experiences of others rather than suffer the consequences yourself. If you go through the pinned topics in this section and the Marine and Reef Chit Chat section, there is some great information on what to do (and more importantly what not to do).

i hate the whole 'beginners can't do this' attitude. it's perfectly possible for someone to start up a saltwater nano as their first tank ever and run it with success.... providing they do loads of research and prepare themselves properly.

put in the hours with your research and you will be absolutely fine :good:

For what it's worth SW is as simple or complex as you want it. If you decide to go FOWLR aside from your normal FW test's you'll need to keep on salinity/specific gravity and most likely phosphate levels. A nano has 2 downsides the first being how unstable the water parameters can be for example a little evaporation can cause a big change in specific gravity the second and probably the best reason not to set up a nano is that you'll want to upgrade very quickly.

Small SW tanks have very low stocking levels in a 15usg you'll be looking at 2 or 3 small fish. If you have the space setup a larger tank. Cost wise you won't find a huge difference either.

HTH

...the second and probably the best reason not to set up a nano is that you'll want to upgrade very quickly.

Lol, truer words have never been spoken :lol:. I'll also chime in and encourage you to go for it. I'd like to propose that nano tanks are "not for beginners" because of modern human nature. People want it, and they want it now. Aquarists are prone to starting a nano, and stocking it too quickly. And with a small, unforgiving water volume, speed and mistakes come back to bite you. Most often its simple like nuisance algae which while unsightly isn't the end of the world, however the risk of a tank crash in a nano is higher.

I say all that to remind that beauty and sucess takes time while disaster happens quickly. So take your time, do your research, get passionate about keeping a certain species or style of tank, and enjoy it :D

Hi,
I have been keeping, breeding and showing Killifish for over 30 years and I am a member of various national and international associations which encompass this niche area within the hobby. I have just come back from The Great Barrier Reef off QLD. Australia. Which has inspired me to have a go at a Saltwater Reef Aquarium. (small scale) all those years experience in freshwater counts for nothing and it's like a whole new learning curve for me at present. The latin names, compatibility and placement of corals, water testing etc, etc all take time to get to grips with Luckily you will have the experience of others on here such as Skifletch (always there) to draw from. One thing I have learnt is to take things real slow, Planning, reading, research are the buzz words. Good luck with your project, Keep a close eye on yer wallet.
I say all that to remind that beauty and sucess takes time while disaster happens quickly. So take your time, do your research, get passionate about keeping a certain species or style of tank, and enjoy it
Good advice Fletch!
Regards
BigC

HI and welcome :hi:

The term beginner is a misnomer and hence, one of the reasons why this title was changed. You will no longer find a 'beginner' section but 'New to the Hobby'. There isn't anyone here, except for a small handful of people perhaps, who shouldn't be able to successfully start up and enjoy a nano reef. Having kept them for almost 3 years now, I can tell you that it is a very rewarding experience. There is no doubt that starting out in FW DOES give you a bit of headstart having already gotten your feet wet in the aquarium world.

However, keeping a nano reef is sort of like riding a motorcycle. If you take a quick class, read one book and then buy yourself a Harley, you'll start off having a great time but put yourself at great risk for a crash. There are somethings that get ignored, even by some of our better looking tank owner members, that, will turn around and bite them further down the road. The keys to have a successful, healthy, long running nano reef are very basic. I won't list them all at once...you can get them in the FAQ's. The keys are:
  • take your time; you can't have a reef in a few weeks (or..you can but might hurt your wallet)
  • read as much as you can and do the research
  • come up with a layout/system that you are happy with in advance
  • find a guru that has patience and stick with them
  • be consistent and attentive to what is going on in your tank
  • IMO, if you are buying corals after cycling, you've missed the boat entirely
  • know your animals, compatibility and if you want a lot of fish...DON'T GO NANO; be prepared to thoroughly enjoy 1,2 or 3 fish at the most
  • there is no such thing as an impulse purchase with nano tanks; plan it...look for it...order it
  • have patience, because, you will need it; things go wrong in nano's that are WAY different than FW
SH

Most reactions

Back