Housing

C.low88

Reaction score
I have a 60 gallon tank with 2 female swordtails, 2 black mollies (1 male 1 female), and 4 sunburst platys (1 male 3 females). I was hoping to get some advice in regards to whether or not I could add fish to this tank or if i should stop here? Any suggestions on what to add if so. Any added fish would of course be community fish likely livebearers (guppies, mollies, platys, sowrdtails etc.) or maybe tetras. Thank you for any advice or suggestions.

Cories would be a nice addition, this stocking seems fine for the tank size, you could certainly add more. A large shoal of tetras would be nice for a tank that big.

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Depending on what the GH of your water is, will determine what fish you should keep.
Tetras, barbs, gouramis, rasbora, Corydoras and small species of suckermouth catfish all occur in soft water (GH below 150ppm).

Livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies) occur in medium hard water with a GH around 200-250ppm. Rainbowfish and goldfish also like this GH.

If you have very hard water (GH above 300ppm) then look at African Rift Lake cichlids or use distilled or reverse osmosis water to reduce the GH and keep fishes from softer water.

Do you have a plan for the fry?
I have a a couple temporary breeding boxes that float and a 40 breeder ready to setup. I intend to let the fry run free in the tank until I can setup the 40 and then collect them.

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Depending on what the GH of your water is, will determine what fish you should keep.
Tetras, barbs, gouramis, rasbora, Corydoras and small species of suckermouth catfish all occur in soft water (GH below 150ppm).

Livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies) occur in medium hard water with a GH around 200-250ppm. Rainbowfish and goldfish also like this GH.

If you have very hard water (GH above 300ppm) then look at African Rift Lake cichlids or use distilled or reverse osmosis water to reduce the GH and keep fishes from softer water.
The tank is a 48.5 x 12.75 x 25. My water source is not hard water but I have dosed the ph to about 7.4 with ph enhancer. I originally wanted to stick with livebearers and will probably stick to that plan.

Most reactions

Back