Hoplo Catfish Help

iownupkr66

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
hello i have a pair of hoplo catfish ones about 2.5 inch and the other 1.8 inch to be correct lol

i just wonderd how big do they need to be to breed

also whats the different between a male and female

any other ways to make them breed or what to add to help with there nest or any other useful info on these stunning species thanks

jordan

I think they reach about 4" before they are breedable reaching 6 or 7" when fully grown, as they get biger the males pectoral fins develop a orange edge to them which becomes sharp and they use this to cut plants for use in building their bubble nest. They will soon reach 4". Once mature they can be encouraged to breed by doing a partial water change and re filling with cold water, this makes them think that the floods have arrived and should induse the male to build his nest.
Mine uses the under side of the aquarium brace but you could use a polystyrene chip tray which could then be removed if eggs are present... If you leave them in the tank the adults WILL eat them.
I have 11 all about 6"

I think they reach about 4" before they are breedable reaching 6 or 7" when fully grown, as they get biger the males pectoral fins develop a orange edge to them which becomes sharp and they use this to cut plants for use in building their bubble nest. They will soon reach 4". Once mature they can be encouraged to breed by doing a partial water change and re filling with cold water, this makes them think that the floods have arrived and should induse the male to build his nest.
Mine uses the under side of the aquarium brace but you could use a polystyrene chip tray which could then be removed if eggs are present... If you leave them in the tank the adults WILL eat them.
I have 11 all about 6"

so how many more years till 4 inch then lol there about 2 inch now or even three and will they build a nest with only oxegen weed in the tank does it matter about plants?

They should reach 4" in about 6 months if fed right... they dont need plants for the nest, the male just blows air out of his gills and forms the nest under the tray etc...

Most reactions

Back