Hoping For A Succesful Spawn ....

fluvial

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have bred my copper HM female twice with a blue VT male and both times spawning took place -
but the eggs were unfertilised - he was LFS bought and possibly knocking on abit :angry:

This time I am breeding her with a red / grey HM male that I got on ebay - he is alot more active
than my VT and so far things are looking good :good:

One thing that I have tried each time and that seems to work for me is that I place the male in the breeding tank,
then immediately add the female in a breeding trap where he can see, but not get at her. This stimulates alot of flaring
and displaying - and usually nest building almost straight away.

I then release the female after just 4 hours together - in this way he hasn't had time to become too territorial and the
chasing and nipping seems to be kept to a minimum. Spawning takes place the same day, or the following day after which the female
is removed. Using this method she has not suffered "fin damage" from any of her matings - and spawning takes place comparitively quickly.

Ihave read of breeders keeping them in the same tank, but seperated for days on end while feeding them up - I prefer to condition them seperately
so as to minimise their time together. This seems to me to be a more natural method of spawning - like in the wild.

Which do you prefer to use for your Betta's, the long slow introduction, or a quicker method ??

Hi there,- I've never bred so can't answer your question,- but just wanted to wish you luck with this spawning. The fish colours sound lovely so you should get some lovely fry :good: :D

I added my male and female together, female separated so he couldn't get to her. They had both been conditioned for 2 weeks prior to this. The female was realised 1 day after then they spawned the following morning.

I think o know what male your on about on eBay, if so he is gorgeous. I have 1 practically identical that I will be breeding from once the fry I have are a few months old :)

Best of look

Most reactions

Back