Hood Rebuild, Led Lights Added

Plasticfantastic

Reaction score
Hi all,

The hood on my 4ft tanks looks like a home made affair that must be 10+ years old so its time for a spruce up.

Its made of wood and houses 1 t8 tropical light bulb, that is about 1 3rd from the back, painted black on the outside and white on the inside.

I started by stripping it down and lining the inside with aluminium foil tape so now its much more reflective. I then moved the original bult right to the front, I plan to buy another bulb and starter and fit it where the original one was. Should i just get the smae buld or have 2 different ones? any recommendations?

Over the weekend i was looking for LED light kits as i wanted blue light that was cheap to run so my catfish will come out more, i also thought that whit would be useful as a cheap alterantive to the t8 for daily use. After a bit of searching i decided and an RGB LED kit that came with 4 20 inch tubes, with the option to add another 2. I didnt hold out much hope for it as i didnt know what to expect, but i am happily suprised. I plan to buy 2 extra tubes and to put them at the back of the hood, i have the 4 fitted the the inside of the lid a the front.

I didnt take any progress shots, but ill do some of the set up tomorrow. Heres a few results shots to give you an idea, the first picture shows how it used to be, you can see the dark spots at the fron because the tube is so far back.

img1814us.jpg

This next lot are with the LEDs on and the T8 tube off, scroling through the colours starting with dark blue and ending with white.

img1872y.jpg

img1875d.jpg

img1876q.jpg

img1877ij.jpg

img1879hk.jpg

img1881w.jpg

img1883r.jpg

This next lot are a close up scrolling through the colours again...

img1884yf.jpg

img1887tz.jpg

img1888l.jpg

img1889q.jpg

img1890wq.jpg

img1891o.jpg

img1892q.jpg

This is with the T8 alone on and then the T8 with the LEDs on white.

img1906fz.jpg

img1908tks.jpg

This lot are with the T8 on and scrolling through the colours. Doesn't show up great in the pictures but some colours have a great effect, the green brings out the plants and the yellow brings out the sand well.

img1909w.jpg

img1910mv.jpg

img1911bw.jpg

img1912x.jpg

img1913jt.jpg

img1914oc.jpg

Overall for less than £40 im well happy!

Hope this is of interest to someone

Cheers

very cool.

if ur happy with it, thats all that matters.

the green and white plant in the very center is not a true aquatic and wont survive long term under water. :good:

Looks awesome! I'm trying to do a similar thing at the moment. Was it something like this that you bought?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-5M-RGB-300-LED-Strip-5050-SMD-Light-Lamp-Waterproof-IR-Remote-Christmas-/200688656643?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Lighting_Lamps_Lighting_SM&hash=item2eb9f9e103#ht_8280wt_1185

Good grief! That looks stunning! Could you link me to where you got that kit, please?

Most reactions

Back