Honey Gouramy - Possible Bacterial Infection :(

Cmdr_DASh

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello,

I unfortunately have an emergency with 2 honey gouramis... I'm worried that I'm posting this too late.

I normally change 40-50% of the water weekly but I have been on vacation for 2 weeks and there were no water changes while I was out. When I returned all my gouramis had Camallanus worms sticking out of their anuses. I had suspected for a long time that my fish had worms (probably from the start of the aquarium) but never treated it until I was sure. I did water changes and treated with eSHa-ndx (Levamisole) (2 times) 1 time a week following @Colin_T guide (24 hour treatment and 75% water change).

All fish are doing great, except 2 gouramis. The worms are gone after the treatment.
-a honey gourmi female - she is very bloated now, started to bloat more the last 2-3 days. She has some damage around the anus area where the worms were sticking out. Spine seems bent ...
-a yellow honey gourami male - not bloated or at least nothing noticeable externally, his color is pale
Both are not active and not eating, the female mostly sitting mostly on top. The male sitting somewere in the middle but with no external signs

I suspect a bacterial infection and I'm thinking to add aquarium salt to try and see if I can save them. For my 40G tank (about 110liters of water) I think I need to add 155g of salt - seems like a lot and I wanted to confirm this is correct and the right thing to do.

Tank parameters (constant for my tank):
Temp 26oC
KH (odKH) 7
GH (odGH) 8
NH4 0
NO2 0.02
pH 7.7

Population:
5 honey gourami
7 white fin rosacea
7 cory joulli
7 otos
17 cardinal tetras
red cherry shrimps and snails

Thanks a lot for your help!

Pictures with the female:

SDF02195.jpg
SDF02204.jpg
SDF02216.jpg
SDF02221.jpg
SDF02233.jpg

Have you got a quaranitine tank? I would suggest moving them into there if you do, then giving the salt, or if you don't give them a salt bath in a bucket.
I might not be right though, but I have to go. I hope they get better!

If you have a spare tank or decent sized bucket/ plastic storage container, put them in that and treat them in there. However, when fish bloat up and stop eating, it's usually too late.

Have you got a quaranitine tank? I would suggest moving them into there if you do, then giving the salt, or if you don't give them a salt bath in a bucket.

If you have a spare tank or decent sized bucket/ plastic storage container, put them in that and treat them in there. However, when fish bloat up and stop eating, it's usually too late.

I don't have another tank, I have a 15L bucket and another heater, no filtration. How long should the fish be in the salt bath?

In case there are other fish that may have an infection and not showing signs, would it make sense to add salt to the main tank?

Thank you both!

I don't have another tank, I have a 15L bucket and another heater, no filtration. How long should the fish be in the salt bath?
Usually 1-2 weeks. If there's no improvement after a week you stop using salt.

In case there are other fish that may have an infection and not showing signs, would it make sense to add salt to the main tank?
You can add salt but it doesn't normally do much for internal infections. They are usually caused by bacteria in organs or organ failure and salt doesn't help with that.

If you do a big water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week, that will dilute any disease organisms in the water and reduce the chance of the other fish possibly catching something. Cleaning the filter can help too, especially if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

My 2 fish are alive but still sick. The yellow gouramy male is also swollen now. The female has deflated and then swelled up and now deflated again. I don't see them eating, but they might still do it when I don't see it. The female had a long stringy white (actually transparent) poop today... I suspect because of the bacterial infection, if that's what it is. I'm also considering treating for tape worms... Right now I'm in between 3rd and 4th treatment for Camallanus

Last edited:
Worms don't stop fish eating. Fish with intestinal worms eat like normal.

If the fish stopped eating and did a stringy white (or semi transparent) poop, it has an internal bacterial infection and is probably dying.

If the fish still eat a little bit but not as much as normal, and they do a stringy white (or semi transparent) poop, it has an internal protozoan infection and you might be able to save them with Metronidazole.

Most reactions

Back