Honey Gouramis

windandfire12

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I just bought 2 Honey Gouramis today. I need to know how to tell the difference between the male and female? Please, Please, Please tell me that I can keep both in my 1 gallon tank? I have an airstone and a sponge filter. I plan on getting a heater for the tank by September before winter gets here. Please tell me they are going to be alright in my tank? Can they eat Betta food? Should I put some Melafix in the tank every week to avoid illnesses and diseases? Are Honey Gouramis good for beginners? Are they hardy fish and are they easy to care for? :) :D ;)

I don't mean to sound ubrupt but what your fish can eat, whether they'll work in your tank and how hardy they are are things you should already have known when you bought them. Unfortunately, while honeys are relatively hardy and would do fine on betta food, they will not survive in a 1 gallon. They are territorial fish. If you have 2 males, they'll fight. If you have a male and female, the male will kill her and if you have 2 females, while they might just about get along, the larger will probably bully the smaller and the tank would be over-stocked anyway. You have to return both fish regardless because I doubt the tank is cycled and the tank's certainly not large enough for even one honey.

Just so you are aware, honeys do best in trios (1 male, 2 females). Sexing juveniles can be tricky. generaly speaking, males have longer and more pointed dorsal and anal fins. Adult males in good condition also develop a dark blue-black coloring around the throat area and become quite bright gold-yellow whereas females retain their pale brown coloration, with a slightly darker brown stripe that runs along the body from head to tail. However, these color differences only apply to the 'wild-type' honey - some color morphs (such as the 'red' honey) have female members who are just as bright as males and some males don't develop the dark coloration on their bellies. With these fish, the only way to destinguish between the sexes is the fins shape/length. Also, like with most gouramies, males grow slightly larger than females (honeys all average at around 1.5 inches) and females tend to look fatter (particularly when viewed from above) and deeper-bodied while males are more 'stream-lined' and slimmer-looking.

What I suggest you do is read up on cycling and get yourself a 10 gallon (or larger). Cost-wise, it's certainly worth it. Do a fishless cycle. You can read all about these things in the links in my signature - PLEASE read everything! A lot of people choose to ignore this point - please don't! It's extremely important that you take the time to learn all about the nitrogen cycle, cycling and how to set up your tank BEFORE you add fish to ensure they survive.

Also, you should note that a 1 gallon isn't realy suitable for ANY fish - not even a betta. Better inhabitants might be various species of freshwater shrimp. You might be surprised at just how interesting a heavily planted 1 gallon with cherry shrimp (or a similarly brightly colored variety) can be. Here's another useful link for you to look through - http://www.petshrimp.com/

I am honestly sorry if this post dissapointed you but it realy is important that you do your research before trying to keep fish. They can be extremely fragile if you aren't careful and it's not fair to force them to live in less-than-ideal conditions as far as water quality is concerned. All the information will seem overwhelming at first but ask questions (feel free to PM me if you want), search the forum and read, read, read - you'll get the hang of it quicker than you think and your fish will thank you for it (with bright colors and fascinating behaviour).

Most reactions

Back