Honey Gourami in 5 gallon tank

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JxsPxxle

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I heard somewhere that it is fine to keep a single honey gourami in a 5 gallon tank? Is this true? I like the look of them and they are also docile fish so i’m hoping to put a honey gourami with some harlequin rasboras or some neon tetras. Is this space sufficient?

All 3 of these species need a tank with a minimum base size of 60x30cm.
Seriouslyfish.com is the most reliable site for fish profiles and understanding their needs.

All 3 of these species need a tank with a minimum base size of 60x30cm.
Seriouslyfish.com is the most reliable site for fish profiles and understanding their needs.
Okay. Thank you I will rethink.

The only fish suited to a 5 gallon are either [not both] (a) a single male Betta, or (b) a group of one of the nano fish species. Nano fish are very small, usually less than 2 cm full grown, and include fish like the Ember Tetra and the dwarf rasbora species in the genus Boraras. These fish will be wild caught, so before considering any of them we would need to know the GH (general hardness) and pH of your source water. Nano fish have high metabolisms beecause of their size and they have considerably less tolerance for any adverse environmental aspects. "Environmental" here refers to all aspects of their environment, from water parameters to decor to other fish.

Another interesting alternative is a group of red cherry shrimp.

Thank you for the replies. I currently do not know the hardness of my water but in an old tank i used to have I had water of moderate hardness.

Thank you for the replies. I currently do not know the hardness of my water but in an old tank i used to have I had water of moderate hardness.

We/you need to pin this down as subjective terms can mean very different things to different people. Check the website of your municipal water authority, or if not there give them a call. We need the number and the unit of measurement they use (there are several).

An example of what Byron means is my tap water. Its hardness is 5 dH but my water company calls it slightly hard. If I didn't know the number, I would assume I would have to keep hard water fish, but in reality I need soft water fish.

We/you need to pin this down as subjective terms can mean very different things to different people. Check the website of your municipal water authority, or if not there give them a call. We need the number and the unit of measurement they use (there are several).
112.5 ppl of calcium carbonate per litre of water is the results i’ve been given. It states that my water is quite soft with moderate hardness.

Most reactions

Back