Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate <10
pH 7.3
gH 200 ppm
Chlorine 0

29gal, moderately planted, gravel bottom with 15 cardinal tetras, multiple cherry shrimp, a clown pleco and two honey gourami. I do a 25% water change every week, water temp is 76F.

The honeys are the newest editions to my tank. At first I was having problems with the bigger one bullying the smaller one but that stopped once I put in more cover. About a week ago the smaller gourami started staying still on the bottom or surface, which I watched carefully for any sign of worsening. Other than that, there has been no indication all week of something going on - until this morning. When I turned the lights on, he was noticeably paler than before, and was resting on the bottom at a sideways angle, like a ship listing to one side. After a while, he tried to swim up to me but was struggling because his fins were moving very rapidly and he was having problems controlling his trajectory. Later he went to the surface, took a breath, then swam around a little, but he was fighting to keep himself from sinking the whole time.

I have some clove oil that I know can be used to euthanize fish, but haven't used it before. I'm assuming so, but in addition to identifying the problem, I'd like to know if it would be more humane to euthanize him now than let him deteriorate.

Last edited:
He likely has a bad air bladder. Gourami are what we call Labyrith fishes (so are Betta's, many loaches and some other fish) It means they can store air internally and actually use it to breathe rather than just their gills - if you haven't noticed they go up to the top of the tank and replenish their air bladders. More frequently, what they use it for is to raise and lower themselves within the tank based on how much air they have. It is fatal but not contagious - it's like he's just got a bad piece of anatomy which is now failing him. I would go ahead and euthanize. I'm so sorry this happened - I've had a lot of these fishes over the last 4 years and have only had to euthanize 4 or 5 so don't be afraid of getting another one

Personally I also think your water is a little cold for this assortment of fish, especially the Gourami. I'd bump it up to 78-80 but as far as I know that's not what cause the bladder issue. - it's just a comfort thing.

DoJo Loaches (too big for your tank) have multiple air bladders - when the rear end one is giving them some problems you can squeeze them back there and help them pass that water and gas LOL. They also can stay out of water for a very long time. I know at least 2 hours. I had given up on him but as soon as I touched him he began to wiggle and I tossed him back in the water.

I agree that it appears to be an air bladder issue. I'd like to have more input on the origins of the issue though. I find it hard to grasp that he would have no visible issues and then suddenly manifest them like this, if it was a organ problem, but maybe I'm wrong.

My theory is the constant bullying from the larger honey stressed him out and made him vulnerable to infection, as the bullying stopped right around the time the symptoms showed up.

Update - I vacuumed the whole tank and did a 50% water change the past 2 days, and today I got him to come off the bottom and swim up to feed. I'm not sure if he ate anything, as he stood still most of the time, but I noticed he didn't seem to be struggling to maintain buoyancy anymore. Of course, now he's on the bottom again, but am I right to think that this is a good sign? Especially if it continues, I don't feel comfortable euthanizing him.

Most reactions

Back