Honey Gourami And Aggression

kingmed

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have 1 male honey gourami and he is not real aggressive but he likes to bother some of the other fish at times. He is in a 55 gal. at the moment with some zebra danios, rosey red minnows, 2 black skirt tetras, 1 female betta and a weather loach. He tries to protect it seems the top territory of the tank at times, he can't catch the danios, minnows, tetras and loach cause they are to fast but he kind of keeps his eyes on the betta. Is this normal for the honey gourami?, I know they are suppose to be the least aggressive of the gourami but I wasn't for sure weather or not they are suppose to be aggressive.

Gourami's, no matter what species, can be quite aggressive. The Honey's are among the most dosile, but, as with most fish, each have their own personality. I have 3 Gourami's - 2 Dwarf Rainbows and a Dwarf Honey - and one of my Rainbow's is quite aggressive, whilst the other two are very dosile.
But they still make great community fish. I wouldn't worry about your other fish as most of the time, the aggression is just for show and the worse they will do is 'nudge' the others away. Judging from the toher fish in your tank, I don't think they're silly enough to start on a Gourami!

Most reactions

Back