Homeaid Tank Oranments?

rob00120

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi all is it safe to use a hot glue gun to stick things together for use in my tank ??????
i have seen this done on youtube i have already used hot glue in my tank to hold a air stone in an Oranment i can not see it herting as it is solid when cold just have to make sure there are no stringey bits i hope it will not hert my fish

thanks for any help

What's wrong with using silicon that's aquarium safe?
They sell it on ebay at a good price. About a fiver for 310ml (chalking gun tube)
Lot's of people ask about using glue in fish tanks and it just baffles me :blink:

What's wrong with using silicon that's aquarium safe?
They sell it on ebay at a good price. About a fiver for 310ml (chalking gun tube)
Lot's of people ask about using glue in fish tanks and it just baffles me :blink:

well i have a hot glue gun and lots of glue sticks i dont want to waste money my fish tank cost enough already :no:

I've been using hot glue in aquarium for a few months and had no problem so I'd say use it :good:

I've also used a small amount of hot glue in my tank and no ill effects yet.

well i have a hot glue gun and lots of glue sticks i dont want to waste money my fish tank cost enough already :no:

Keeping fish costs money. I don't consider buying a tube of silicone a waste of it though :/
I personally prefer to shell out the 5 squids and not take the chance on losing my precious fishes.
I too have a glue gun but I shudder at the thought of any of that crappy glue going inside my tanks....my main worry is 'what are the fish ingesting?' and 'how long will it be before they start to keel over?' :crazy:

If you leave strands of glue on the thing your gluing then yeah that's not a good idea but in a solid mass it's fine and the huge advantage ofver silicone is the instant seting time

all it is is plastic and there is already loads of that in your tank and you dont have to wait 24 hours befor you put the item in your tank and quite a lot of people use it in there tanks that is good enough for me

If you leave strands of glue on the thing your gluing then yeah that's not a good idea but in a solid mass it's fine and the huge advantage ofver silicone is the instant seting time

yes you have to make sure you clean it after you glue it make sure you get all of the string bits off as you dont want your fish trying to eat them lol

So spikey glue ornaments are out of the question then? :lol:
Don't glue sticks contain chemicals? I haven't got any packaging handy so I can't check.....having said that silicone does contain chemicals :blink:
Well now that's got me thinking........... :/
When I started to read this thread I was very stubborn with my opinion over silicon to other glues for the fish tank but now I'm going to go and do a bit of research on the chemicals in the two and get some perspective of their capabilities and incompatibilities.
Maybe one day I will make a glue ornament and I shall call him spikey...and he shall be my spikey :wub:

Most reactions

Back