Holidays

Junior Gent

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Im still in the process of cycling, but when i do get fish whats the best way to feed them when im away. The thing is i have a 10 gallon tank and the plan is to stock it lightly as its a biorb life. So my assumption is the 7 day blocks available must produce far too much food for my fish and therefore ammonia goes through the roof and i have dead fish on my hands.

Thanks JG

Oh i forgot, i should probably give you my stocking ideas so you have all the info. Im looking at a halfmoon betta, 4 male endlers and cherry shrimp (although i dont know how many would suit my tank, its the square biorb)

It depends how long you're going away for. If it's for a week or two, the fish are better off going without food. Fish can easily go for two weeks without being fed, espcially if you have a few live plants they can pick at.

If it's for longer, then get a neighbour or friend to pop in once or twice a week to give a measured (by you!) amount of food; non-fishkeepers nearly always overfeed which causes water quality issues when you're not there to rectify them.

If you are going away for more than 10 days..... then think about alternative arangements..... if less..... Don't worry... they'll be fine.....

EDIT: ... Oh! Flutter..... we posted at the same time..... I agree.

Thankyou, i didnt realise they could last that long without a feed, ive got arrangements in place but its good knowledge to have stored if the situation arises.

JG

You could also get an automatic feeder, if you can't arrange someone to come over.
It's great because it drops in the exact ammount you need, not more, not less and at a time you decide.

Example

They look pretty good Tom, and are reasonable. Have you used them yourself? Are they pretty good at what they do?

Yes I infact have, this one.
In the summer, I had to fly to Switzerland for 1 month, and I left my fish at home. I have no relatives in London, and just broke up with my girlfriend, any my friends live on the other side of the city. I considered taking the tank to them, but it was way too hard since I don't own a car.
I hate my neighbour and they hate me, so that wasn't an option:) So I purchased this feeder, and put in all my food. (With this one, you have to break up the flakes a little to get a lot of it out). I turned it on and was hoping for the best. 15 days later, my friend came over to clean my tank, and he said my fish where very happy! :) They get used to the timing feeding and the appropriate ammount.

I love it, it worked like a charm for a month! Highly recommended! ;)

Most reactions

Back