Holes in my betta's tail!

Salty&Onion

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
I have noticed little holes (nothing white around the edges) and I did a water change and I just noticed that his holes didn't disappear or atleast start to heal or anyhting, but the holes got bit larger!
His tank is cycled, has a heater and ammonia and nitrite are 0ppm and nitrate is 20ppm or bit more, but under 30ppm due to my tap water having about 15ppm.
Will be doing a water change tommorow and vacuuming the substrate.
I don't have salt or any other salt, I used my last two table spoons in treating my female swordtail with no luck.

Can you post a pic? Could be pinhole finrot

If you need salt, go to a swimming pool shop or hardware store and buy a bag of pool salt. It costs about $10 for 20kgs. You can usually buy smaller bags too.

Hopefully the Betta doesn't have that horrible new bacterial infection that seems to be popping up a lot lately. :(

Or try to find a fish shop that is open and buy aquarium salt.
Salty is in the UK and there aren't many private swimming pools here so there isn't much demand for swimming pool salt.

If you need salt, go to a swimming pool shop or hardware store and buy a bag of pool salt. It costs about $10 for 20kgs. You can usually buy smaller bags too.

Hopefully the Betta doesn't have that horrible new bacterial infection that seems to be popping up a lot lately. :(
Or try to find a fish shop that is open and buy aquarium salt.
Salty is in the UK and there aren't many private swimming pools here so there isn't much demand for swimming pool salt.
Thanks guys. I'll go to my LFS and get the aquarium salt.
I've got a 5 ltr bucket and how much of salt should I use when I'll get it?

Here are the holes

185E748B-17C1-440F-9BCC-16030E697805.jpeg

0DAFC4B6-D922-4E61-AE03-B4579F072DC8.jpeg

Using Salt to Treat Fish Health Issues.
For some fish diseases you can use salt (sodium chloride) to treat the ailment rather than using a chemical based medication. Salt is relatively safe and is regularly used in the aquaculture industry to treat food fish for diseases. Salt has been successfully used to treat minor fungal and bacterial infections, as well as a number of external protozoan infections. Salt alone will not treat whitespot (Ichthyophthirius) or Velvet (Oodinium) but will treat most other types of protozoan infections in freshwater fishes.

You can add rock salt (often sold as aquarium salt), sea salt or swimming pool salt to the aquarium at the dose rate of 1 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres of water. If there is no improvement after 48 hours you can double that dose rate so there is 2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

If you only have livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), goldfish or rainbowfish in the tank you can double that dose rate, so you would add 2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres and if there is no improvement after 48 hours, then increase it so there is a total of 4 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

Keep the salt level like this for at least 2 weeks but no longer than 4 weeks otherwise kidney damage can occur. Kidney damage is more likely to occur in fish from soft water (tetras, Corydoras, angelfish, gouramis, loaches) that are exposed to high levels of salt for an extended period of time, and is not an issue with livebearers, rainbowfish or other salt tolerant species.

The salt will not affect the beneficial filter bacteria but the higher dose rate will affect some plants. The lower dose rate will not affect plants.

After you use salt and the fish have recovered, you do a 10% water change each day for a week using only fresh water that has been dechlorinated. Then do a 20% water change each day for a week. Then you can do bigger water changes after that. This dilutes the salt out of the tank slowly so it doesn't harm the fish.

If you do water changes while using salt, you need to treat the new water with salt before adding it to the tank. This will keep the salt level stable in the tank and minimise stress on the fish.

Thank you @Colin_T , when I'll get the salt I'll just put one tablespoon and a half to his tank. It's 30ltrs and with livestock of two female guppies, three molly fry, three mollies (all is temporary) and some cherry shrimp in the tank.

Most reactions

Back