HOB Filter Questions

kanokoro

Reaction score
Hi!

Bit of context - I'm new to the hobby and have been looking into setting up a pretty basic planted tank with some neocardina (maybe some neon tetra too). Since this will be my first tank, I'm quite nervous about getting started.

I've been looking at the Tetra Starter Line 105ltr tank and it seems to be a pretty good option for me. I was recommended that I get an Aquaclear 50 with a prefilter sponge. My only concern is that I don't see how the lid of the tank - and thus the LEDs - would still be usable. Will I have to make a cutout in the lid for the filter? How would that work if the cutout would have to go through the LEDs?

I'm aware that sponge filters are an option, however the setup of the air pump and the noise it produces really puts me off the idea.

Thank you all for your help! I apologize if this is a rather silly question.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum kanokoro! Doesn't the starter kit come with a filter? If so, you have what you need as a starter kit. If not, first look at the back of the tanks cover (looks like it has a full hood) and see if there are cut-out perforations. Most of the full covers have areas that can be popped or easily cut out to accommodate HOB filters.

fluval sell small tanks with internal sumps which are dead silent
and if you hate the bubbling sound of tanks like I do...forget other types of filtration
hob can be silent after you adjust the outlet plate to water level but as water evaporates they're just as noisy or more than sponge filters
canisters have a humming sound to them somewhat like a mini-fridge
usually tank lids come with a section of it that can be broken off so you can install hob filters or small air pipes or whatever you want to put on there...

To be honest, Tetra Easy Crystal filters don't have the best media in there. I think this is the one which comes with the tank

For a 105 litre tank, I would look at something like the Eheim Aquaball filters. They have only sponge as media, the flow can be adjusted and baby shrimps are unlikely to be sucked inside.
Or perhaps the AquaEl Turbo 500 filter.

Thank you all for the responses! They've been very helpful :)
fluval sell small tanks with internal sumps which are dead silent
and if you hate the bubbling sound of tanks like I do...forget other types of filtration
hob can be silent after you adjust the outlet plate to water level but as water evaporates they're just as noisy or more than sponge filters
canisters have a humming sound to them somewhat like a mini-fridge
usually tank lids come with a section of it that can be broken off so you can install hob filters or small air pipes or whatever you want to put on there...
Thank you for the recommendation! The fluval tanks look like a good option for me.With the internal filters, do you just plug them straight into an outlet and they're good to go? Additionally, would they be okay for shrimp straight out of the box or would they require some modification to ensure the shrimp can't get pulled into the filter? Thank you for your help.

if they have an inline pump pulling the water into the sump..you can use a coarse sponge on the intake pipe
if it's an overflow type of sump you will need a mesh on that intake
safest for shrimp would be the inline pump version which is very rare in commercial tanks

Once the kit arrives, have a look inside the filter and measure the space. All the cheaper filters are designed for slot in media you have to change. It's for the company's revenue stream, not for the efficiency of the filter. They were all unhappy that if you bought a good filter, it would work for years without you needing to buy anything, so they fixed their problem.
Once you measure it, compare the open space to an aquaclear or fluval sponge. With a pair of scissors, you should be abnle to replace the cartridge with a sponge that can be rinsed every few weeks and should last about 10 years - longer than a tetra filter will.
You won't have to spend for a new filter, and the excess, trimmed sponge may even make a pre-filter.
DIY rules.

Welcome to TFF

Generally speaking, the "kits" many times contain sub-par equipment

If you wanted to use an HOB filter for the tank, get a glass lid...they usually come with a plastic strip that attaches to the back edge of the lid...you can cut out pieces of this strip to accommodate equipment

I'm a fan of the AquaClears, nice little filters, customizable, and easy to maintain

Most reactions

Back