HOB Filter media?

fishtime!

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have a 20 gallon tank with a aqueon HOB filter. I jump started my tank with old filter media from my friends tank - the kind of cartridge that comes with carbon in it. So I have a couple questions.

1. Why do people not like the cartridge filters with carbon?
2. When should I replace the cartridge I have in there - its definitely pretty old, has tons of bacteria in it
3. Before I replace the cartridge, my plan was to put new filter media in there to inoculate it with the bacteria - what kind of media do you guys like?

Thanks!

Tank info:
Size: 20 gallon tall (may be replacing soon with 20 gallon long)
Plants: anubias, crypto, java mass, crested java fern, anacharis elodea, red root floaters, and pothos (sticking out of the filter)
decorations: driftwood and dragon rock

Because carbon doesn't do anything that water changes don't do. Much less, actually. And when you have to replace the cartridge, you risk crashing your cycle. And it's a waste of money to continually have to buy ineffective cartridges. All you have to do is cut a piece of foam to size to fit in the cartridge holder and you don't have to worry about any of that. That foam will last for years.

Because carbon doesn't do anything that water changes don't do. Much less, actually. And when you have to replace the cartridge, you risk crashing your cycle. And it's a waste of money to continually have to buy ineffective cartridges. All you have to do is cut a piece of foam to size to fit in the cartridge holder and you don't have to worry about any of that. That foam will last for years.
Ok great, thanks! Any particular kind of foam you like?

Hello fishtime. Carbon will absorb odors that may come from the tank water. It will keep the "fishy" smell to a minimum, but doesn't do much else. Actually, any mechanical filter device won't keep the tank water very clean. It just takes in dirty water and returns the water to the tank a tiny bit less dirty. It will move the water around and add a bit more oxygen. Not really worth the price, is it? So, the real filter is the regular water change. If you remove and replace most of the water every few days, you really don't need a filter.

Rule of thumb is to have the largest coarse piece of media you can fit in there without overflowing.

I tend to choose HOB's with a much higher turnover, 40x and plus... Once you add an intake cover and customize all these media baskets...

They have all a really lower output. when they start to clog it's worse. There is a limit to turbine engines too.

I call them Aqueon QuietFlaw Filters, they are so cartridge replacement centrist and make it so difficult to customize and all hacks are really only that... Hacks. It can get you even thinking of trowing you biological filter in the trash.

10-20$ per month for a hob and 20-30 for a canister...

Really... An whole Aquaclear A600 is 30-50$ and has perpetual media included.

No cartridge you decide what goes at every stages.

Save 2 cartridges and buy An AC.

Rule of thumb is to have the largest coarse piece of media you can fit in there without overflowing.

I tend to choose HOB's with a much higher turnover, 40x and plus... Once you add an intake cover and customize all these media baskets...

They have all a really lower output. when they start to clog it's worse. There is a limit to turbine engines too.

I call them Aqueon QuietFlaw Filters, they are so cartridge replacement centrist and make it so difficult to customize and all hacks are really only that... Hacks. It can get you even thinking of trowing you biological filter in the trash.

10-20$ per month for a hob and 20-30 for a canister...

Really... An whole Aquaclear A600 is 30-50$ and has perpetual media included.

No cartridge you decide what goes at every stages.

Save 2 cartridges and buy An AC.

Ok so I'll save my filter cartridges, transfer them over to the aquaclear, and once theres enough bacteria on the new media i'll take the cartridges out and fill the rest of the filter space with foam? And do you like the biomax cermaic rings that come with the aquaclear? And I'm attaching a picture: would this be the kind of foam you put in? Thanks!

Screenshot 2024-06-05 at 12.37.13 PM.png

Most of the time I replace the ceramic for another coarse sponge and don't use the carbon.

If you use the YouTube gods you will find many videos on customizing HOB. I used many Aqueon HOB in the past and not a one used the garbage floss cartridge.

BTW, an aquarium should not smell fishy unless there is some issues with it. I haven't used carbon for over 25 years unless it was to remove medication from a tank.

An aquarium should smell good if parameters are right.

I had 28 ACs runnung at my peak. I am now down to 12. But, before I began downsizing, I had begun to change the cheap AC foams for 20ppi Poret foam which is far superior. I use it for their cubefilters and Mattenfilters as well. I also use the 10 ppi to make my wn prefilters for all my ACs.

When AC filters started coming with the bio-media I always threw it away, I have no use for it, I prefer to use two foams and floss in between, I throw out the floss for new with weekly water changes. Then a friend said sge wanted the bio-media so she got it instead of the garbage man.

When I had an Emperor 400 bio-wheel filter I stopped using their cartridges pretty fast.

https://www.marineland.com/parts/filtration-products-and-skimmers/emperor-parts/media-container.aspx
PR2150.jpg

You can fill it with what your like.

As for carbon it should mostly be used for specific needs as opposed to a 24/7 media. I mostly use it to pull meds as my tap water is high quality from a private well. However, Dr. Timothy Hovanec who discovered the actual bacteria present in out tanks has a different take. So, you might want to read this article on Activated Carbon he wrote:
https://www.drtimsaquatics.com/aquarium-hobby/general-articles/activated-carbon/

Finally, if one has the proper media, there should rarely be any reason to do more than weekly water changes. The one exception if for fry which often need more than one a week. I use massive amounts of Poret foam in my tanks and my water is crystal clear and my fish are pretty healthy. Have a read here: Aquarium Biofiltration

Last edited:
Where there's a will, there's a way. This is my own Aqueon Quietflow...

20240129_141000.jpg

Most reactions

Back